+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Palmer chenille

This material does look very interesting. I'm wondering about the sizes and which would suit my trout fly needs better. What is the approximate fiber length on the "Small" and "Medium" sizes?

Good looking jointed minnow, Dave.

Jim,
    Does your eye lash yarn have the pearl tinsel in it? I've been keeping an eye out for some with it in and have not come across any.

It also looks like pseudo hackle with one side cut off.
    http://www.hareline.com/07jpgs/phnb.jpg

Johnstoekl,

I just bought some medium that measures 3/4" and had some small that measures 3/8". Using mine on a size 6 hook for saltwater flies. Haven't tied with the medium length yet, maybe tonight. The small is about the gap of the size 6 hook. Looks pretty cool though

Beaver

Blog Entries

I agree with Jim Smith,

Many man-made materials are re-purposed from what they were originally marketed for. A walk through any of the Big Box stores will always be worth the trip. Now that being said, there are many man-made products that have been re-designed to meet the needs of fly tyers. Many of the original products will still stand the test of time. I saw something at JoAnne's Fabrics today that forced a light bulb to go off in my head. I did not buy it and regret not bringing it home. Next weekend I shall correct my mistake and see if I can adapt something new to my flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    It also looks like pseudo hackle with one side cut off. http://www.hareline.com/07jpgs/phnb.jpg
    Or cut down the center to give fringe of the desired length.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

I've seen variations of this stuff at Wal Mart and JoAnne's like Dave said. Also Michael's and Hobby Lobby. ANY store that sells yarns will likely have. I stop at all these stores whenever I get a chance, just to walk through them and look at possible tying material. Often seeing various items will make me remember threads like this one and I'll stop and really give the item a good look.

The bottom line is get out and look in all the stores not just the fly shops. As Jim Smith points out, hardly any of the stuff we tie with was designed FOR fly tying. The majority of man made fly tying materials is adapted from an existing products.

Bass_Bug Guest

Anyone heard of or seen "Straggle Fritz"? This stuff looks like it would be better than eyelash yarn. It apeears to be popular in UK tying. Also appears to be a variation of just plain Straggle which has shorter fibers. Similar to an ice/cactus chenille, but very sparse almost like a cross between ice chenille and eyelash yarn. Both the plain straggle and straggle fritz come in in different sizes(thickness) like chenille.

Here are a couple versions.
    http://www.lakelandflytying.com/7306..._Chenille.aspx
    http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/...larkeys/11151/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMac View Post
    I saw something at JoAnne's Fabrics today that forced a light bulb to go off in my head. I did not buy it and regret not bringing it home. Next weekend I shall correct my mistake and see if I can adapt something new to my flies.
    C'mon you tease! Give! What did you see that you wish you had bought?

I have seen eyelash yarn at various stores, but have not seen sparkle yarn like this post is referencing. If anyone knows where to get big skeins of the stuff with the pearl mylar built in, I would be interested in hearing where??
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread