+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: About Us --> Profession past present and other nosy stuff

CAREER: Professional Soldier for Uncle Sam. Retired from the Army in 1981 and haven't worked since.

HOBBIES: Fishing, Fly Tying, Hunting & fixing up old fishing rods.

GRIPES: TV commercials

HOMESTEAD: Moved to Oregon in 1982 and will probably remain here until its all over. My wife Gracie knows everbody in Klamath Falls & then some. No Children.

HAIR: Still there but almost all silver.

Tim

Retired U.S. Air Force (1974-1994)

Trade: Photographic Interpretor (RF4C), Target Intelligence (B-52, F111 & FB111, F16, F117), a short stint as a Weather Observer, in the Air Weather Service. Other jobs/experiences: busboy, stock-boy, construction laborer, carpenter, fruit-picker, hay baler, lawn-boy, arborist, forklift driver, cherry-picker operator, Corrections Officer, distribution center truck loader, roof-truss fabricator, lumber yard - rail car unloader, robotic-arm/conveyor system trouble-shooter, Registered Radiographer with a year of Ultrasound, taxidermists helper etc. My first job was through the YMCA, as a member of the YCC (Youth Conservation Corps) - We worked with the local Forest Fire Warden, clearing forest fire lanes and putting in diversion ditches, for water runoff. We were also "mobilized" to help clean up after Hurricane Agnes. (what a mess that was!!!)

Hobbies: Upland birding/dog training, fly tying, fly fishing, bird-watching, net (wooden) making, reading, and habitat projects.

Homewaters: Penn's Creek

Gripes: Litterbugs, garbage dumpers and the price of gas! LOL!!!

Homestead: Me (divorced - twice), plus my two 4.5 yr. old German Short-haired pointers - Max & Sam.

Hair color: YES!! Ha!!!

Best regards, Dave S.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Trades: US Army 20yrs. Drill SGT, Military Police, NREMT, FireFighter, Hardwood floor Refinisher/Installer

Hobbies: Fly fishing, Fly tying, camping, hiking, hunting

Gripes: Although a smoker, I cannot stand people throwing butts on the ground(must be the military in me

Homestead: Married, just the wife, myself, and the Golden Retriever

Hair Color: brown with gray

Just sampling here,
    busboy, stock-boy, construction laborer, carpenter, fruit-picker, hay baler, lawn-boy, arborist, forklift driver, cherry-picker operator, , distribution center truck loader, roof-truss fabricator, lumber yard - rail car unloader,
    floor sweeper, Assistance Manager of a blood plasma collection facility,warehouseman on call,checked cards in a bar,US Army Paratrooper, Ranger, Drill Sergeant,
    Mental health counselor,Dental hygienist, Hardwood floor Refinisher/Installer, Motherhood,

The trade portion of this this thread really make me realize just what
    life has to offer if a person gets out and makes an effort, be it
    with formal education or / and the good ole school of hard knocks..

It all here, just what my Dad always told me, don't wait for it, go get it...

NewTyer1,

Where did you do your time under the Smokey Bear hat at? I pushed troops at Ft Benning (BCT only) and Dix (BCT and AIT), helped young troopers out of airplanes at Ft Benning as a black hat. Fun duty on all accounts.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    NewTyer1, Where did you do your time under the Smokey Bear hat at? I pushed troops at Ft Benning (BCT only) and Dix (BCT and AIT), helped young troopers out of airplanes at Ft Benning as a black hat. Fun duty on all accounts. REE
    REE and NewTyer1,

After spending 20+ in the ARNG, I realized a few things about drill sergeants 1) It has to be one of the worse jobs in the military, especially back when it was mostly draftees, long hours trying teach kids some who exhibited slightly more intelligence than a rock how not to get killed. 2) It is one of the most important jobs in the military for the previously stated reason 3) No one appreciates you at the time but a few of us see what you did for us later. Looking back Ft. Polk, C-1-2, 29 August 1969 through 31 October 1969; Sr. Drill Sergeant Henry, Drill Sergeants Locklear, Sheeder, Sergeants Cooper, Bordelon and the others I don’t remember were trying to beat in our heads what it took to survive and win. I know it does happen all that often but thanks for all the tails you kicked (figuratively speaking) and for what you did for those kids.

Maybe I had potential, they made me a squad leader because some of the slackers complained about the way I stayed on their butt when I was in charge of a detail.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 02-14-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

OK, I'll play.

Age: Young enough to be paranoid about Identity theft to be posting my age and birth date online. (That's why it's not public in my profile)
    Trades:Computer analyst manager that requires a CAC. (anyone that has/had a CAC knows not to ask for more details)
    Hobbies: Fly Fishing/Fly tying, rock climbing, cooking, and cigars
    Gripes: I post my gripes when I have them
    Homestead: Married to Lady_Bug in Central Ohio
    Hair color: Mostly red, but beard has more gray than red in it.

Uncle Jesse,

If the recruits I pushed remember my name, like you remember the name of your Drill Sergeant, then I did my job. When I graduated from the Drill Sergeant Acaemy the units we were to be assigned to sent the First Sergeants to meet us and welcome us to the unit. Off to the side I saw a familiar looking guy who was a First Sergeant, I walked over until I could read the name tag and it was First Sergeant Drayton. When I was a young Basic Trainee at Fort Pol, LA, he was my Drill Sergeant. I introduced myself and passed on my thanks for getting me through 3 1/2 years in Viet Nam.

REE

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Uncle Jesse & REE. It seems the 3 of us used to be neighbors. I was in Basic Training at Ft. Polk also. From late Sep. '66 until early Dec. C-1-5, better than best. We used to march with drum and trumpet to the tune "St. Louie Blues." Do I understand correctly that Tiger Land has been rebuilt?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

As for me:

Trades: Presently, a substation technician for an electric utility service company. I test, maintain, and repair substation equipment. Before that, car alarm and stereo installer, grocery store clerk, and my first jobs were working at Boy Scout camps.

Hobbies: Fly fishing, of course.

Gripes: You don't want to hear about those....but inconsiderate drivers are near the top of the list.

Homestead: Single....living near St. Louis, Missouri.

Hair color: Light brown....not as thick and bushy as it once was.
    Last edited by bgreer; 02-15-2011 at 12:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread