+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pliers

Default Pliers

I am looking for a funtional pair of saltwater pliers that won't break the bank. I am looking at these http://www.boomerangtool.com/index.p...mart&Itemid=92

I am looking for a decent pair that will cut heavy Flourocarbon line. Not ready to fork out the funds for a pair of Abel's. What other options do I have? Looking at the $50 range with a holster and lanyard.

Thanks,
    -Jeff

The deckhands on the fishing charter party boats here, including the long range tuna trips, usually use diagonal cutters (wire cutters). I figured if they were good enough for guys who make their living on the charters that was a good solution for me too. So for years I have been using good quality diagonal cutters that have generally cost me less than $30 for a pair that will cut 80lb wire or 100lb mono. I will wear these in a holster or have the holster attached to convenient part of the boat. I carry a Leatherman tool in my tackle bag but this rarely comes out of its case when on the water.

These are very nice pliers:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...s-Pliers-.html
    and a good price. Don't know if I'd chose them for wire, but for mono they're great. I've used a pair in S/W for 3 years and no rust anywhere.
    Only drawback is the awful helical plastic lanyard, but that's easily replaced.

If all you want them to do is cut heavy fluorocarbon, you have a lot of choices in the $50 range. But you don't need pliers. You need stainless steel wire cutters or scissors.

But if you want them to do more than cut line, your choices for good stuff are pretty slim in the $50 range for something that will work well for saltwater fishing. I've used a bunch of different fishing pliers from el cheapo to over $200 in the past few years in the search for the right tool. I write a gear review column for a saltwater fly fishing website. I finally BOUGHT myself a pair of the Ross stainless steel fishing pliers in the large size. They're expensive, but they eliminate the need for a few other tools on your body and come with just the right type of holster system. They're as small as they can be and still do all the jobs comfortably and safely. And they'll last forever.

Take a look at these: http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...09891/-1731268

A buddy of mine recently bought a pair of these, and I was surprised how well they cut braided line - better than much more expensive pliers, and better than my "special" scissors. The only drawback I saw was the notches and humps in the grips for fingers; on the side that fits in your palm, they feel a bit uncomfortable to me.

FlyFlinger

I gave up on trying to keep nice pliers and clippers...I will just lose them somehow...my setup is $1 clippers and $4 needlenose at Home Depot...funny thing is I never lose the cheapies...thankfully I realized this before I got the kill ones like the pros

+ Reply to Thread