+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I miss freshwater fly fishing

Default I miss freshwater fly fishing

Since I moved to CA fly fishing hasn't been the same for me. The big thing here is surf fishing and since I live 30 min from the beach and I don't even have to get on the freeway that's mainly what I'm doing. Not that you can't fly fish the surf but you gotta find the right conditions to succeed, otherwise it's just a casting practice session. I'm really getting good at casting
    I really miss fly fishing for bass, bluegill and carp around my small urban park ponds back in AZ.
    Most might not even remember me but I hung around here a lot.
    I guess I just wanted to get this out of my chest...surf fishing forums don't care much about fly fishing.
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

Martin have you checked out the lake in the parks around the LA area. There are several in the Santa Monica National Recreational Area.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Martin, Your location only says "SoCal", well if your anywhere near Long Beach get to the Long Beach casting Club in Recreation Park. They will know all there is to Fly Fishing in So Calif.

I grew up there and did nothing but fish that area. When I got into Fly Fishing it was Ocean for Bass (Calico, Spotted Bay, etc.), Perch, Corbina, Halibut, Bonita, mackerel, - pretty much anything with fins. Or for fresh water there were local parks, the San Diego Lakes, San Gabriel River, Lakes to the north - Castaic, Isabella, etc. etc.

Look around and ask about. You will find there is a great deal of fishing available in the area. Check out the local Fly shops they may also be able to give you some info.

Good Luck,
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Martin,

Check with Alan Reos, watercolorman, on www.fiberglassflyrodders.com or www.theclassicflyrodforum.com.
    He's a Southern California native and fly fishes all over that area in freshwater.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Thanks much gents. All the info is appreciated.
    I believe I can fly fish

Martin, Castaic lake is only about a 35 minute freeway drive from you. For more adventure try Piru Creek. It's probably a 45 minute to an hour from you but well worth the drive. Take along a camera. You will love it.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Funny thing, I even have a small inflatable boat...I gotta force myself to head that way instead of the beach!!!
    I believe I can fly fish

Martin,

You are going to have to live with the idea of there being no bikinis at the mountain lakes like there was during the summer at Santa Monica..
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Martin,

From what I've heard barred surf-perch, even little ones, would put a lot of freshwater fish to shame in a pulling contest. Of course, you don't have to worry about turning your back to a sleeper wave on a trout stream. Check out these forums for some good info on fresh/saltwater fishing on the left coast:
    http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php
    http://www.kiene.com/forums/
    http://www.garybulla.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread