+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I bought an old BOO, now what...

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    If we were ment to understand women, we would BE women.

Now to start a whole different argument. For the vast majority of fly fishers, our equipment, even the mediocre stuff, is better than we are. This rod can be just as enjoyable for most folks as a $2400 hand split piece of art I would be afraid of scratching and would probably never take out to the stream.
    To understand women would require us to be devine.

Lefty Kreh said something to the effect "If a flyrod cost more than $100 it is probably better than the person using it."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    These Japanese rods appeared in the 50s & were brought back by servicemen serving over there. Cheap though they are they were actually quite good as a starter rod. They usually came in a varnished box that contained some garish flies & line. Other than the fly rod many came as combo kits with the other rod a bait casting with a trigger handle & usually about 5-6ft long The rod broke at the handle which could be then reversed to accommodate the different section.Price $25 sounds about right. They crop up onE Bay from time to time & many have been duped into buying what they think is a "good" split cane rod. By all means use it. I had one of them when I was a boy & it caught quite a few trout before it was retired (to the bin)
    Tight Lines
    I love the ones which show up for fantastic amounts of money on CL or Ebay, with no name, and no provenance other than "They are BAMBOO!!" and therefore expensive. See them at Garage Sales that way as well...some in terrible shape.

MAO
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    I love the ones which show up for fantastic amounts of money on CL or Ebay, with no name, and no provenance other than "They are BAMBOO!!" and therefore expensive. See them at Garage Sales that way as well...some in terrible shape.

MAO
    There is a second hand store on South Federal here that is that way. He had an old Orvis that was pristine and priced appropriately. He also had several old Jap rods that were not even complete that he was trying to get similar money out of. He threw me out of the store, literally, when I offered him what they were worth.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Bamboo rods are just fishing rods, as are fiberglass, graphite, and the most early wooden rods.
    There are good tapers and awful tapers within all these fibers. And, in my opinion, a finely executed bamboo rod trumps all others.
    This is my opinion and I'm sure you have yours.
    The worst, in my experience, are truly awful bamboo rods.
    The Japanese post-war bamboo rods rank at the top of the list of godawful fishing tools.
    I suppose they are okay if they are lightly fished for panfish? But, why would you? Just to say you're fishing bamboo? The few I've cast are literally junk as fly fishing tools. The hardware on these rods is the cheapest possible.
    The bamboo itself is something dredged from the Japanese outback. All in all it is a combination of the cheapest components imaginable.
    The tapers are teeth-gritting.
    I truly don't know where the perception evolved that a good bamboo rod must cost thousands of dollars.
    That is not the case!
    There are several fine bamboo tapers that are affordable to most fly fishermen if they really want to fish bamboo.
    Just my thoughts on these cheaply made Japanese rods.
    Please don't waste your money on these, speaking gratuitously, rods.
    Last edited by bobbyg; 01-21-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    To understand women would require us to be devine.

Lefty Kreh said something to the effect "If a flyrod cost more than $100 it is probably better than the person using it."
    Well, I guess all the rods ole Lefty is touting now are better than he is, cause I don't believe you can buy one of those suckers for less than a 100 smacks? Ah, money corrupts...big money corrupts totally!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    Well, I guess all the rods ole Lefty is touting now are better than he is, cause I don't believe you can buy one of those suckers for less than a 100 smacks? Ah, money corrupts...big money corrupts totally!
    I have seen Lefty cast, I believe he would count himself and rightly so, as the exception to the rule. Watching and listening to Lefty helped my casting more than anything else every has with the exception of practice. I got my TFO for under a $100, new.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I have seen Lefty cast, I believe he would count himself and rightly so, as the exception to the rule. Watching and listening to Lefty helped my casting more than anything else every has with the exception of practice. I got my TFO for under a $100, new.
    Well, good for him. I'll remember to always count myself as the exception to the rule when it doesn't meet my self-proclaimed criteria.

I'm also glad you got the TFO for under a $100.00.
    There are several models that I believe sell for more than that?
    Casting is casting, catching fish is another thing entirely.
    Last edited by bobbyg; 01-22-2011 at 12:30 AM.

A few years ago I got a call from the owner of a local fly shop. A customer had brought in one of those 'box set' Japaneese cane rods. The customer wanted to have it 'redone' (rewrapped and refinished), so the proprieter wanted to know if I would undertake the job.

I stopped by to look at it, and it was truly a piece of crap. I told him it wasn't worth the work, but apparently the customer insisted. I was paid over $300 to refurbish a rod you can buy in decent condition at a garage sale for five bucks.

Came out nicely. Rod didn't cast worth a hoot, but it sure was pretty. I even refinished the wooden box it came in.

When I delivered it, I got 'the rest of the story'.

Owner was an attorney. Rod was in his attic. He didn't know where it came from, but he thought it was brought back from overseas by an uncle in the 50s. He had a wealthy client who was a fly fisherman. He wanted to give him a 'nice gift' and thought this would be 'special'.

I showed him the rod, explained what all I had done, took my check, and bought some tying materials....

Never did hear how the 'client' liked the rod....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

That's a great story Buddy!

Bob

Think some of you guys have to remember these rods are now 50 yrs old. Do not think they will stand comparison to todays stuff. Hardy & Orvis they are not.
    Yes they are cheap but when you are a boy of 15yrs with no income other than a paper round it was like winning the lottery getting this old "boo"
    Many a little stream Trout fell it till I got something better. I have no regrets about using it.
    Did not do me any harm, if fact probably made me appreciate my gear when I got better tackle.
    Tight Lines
    Last edited by Highlander; 01-23-2011 at 09:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread