+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cork grips

Default cork grips

can they the sanded from a cigar to a reversed 1/2 wells safely? or is this job best left for a real professional? my hand does not like cigar grips
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Blog Entries

No. There is not enough cork there. You might get close to the shape, but the grip would wind up way too small. Is this an existing grip on a rod or are you building one?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

its an IM6 Wiinston, and these hands dare not touch it
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Blog Entries

In that case, depending on how many pieces the rod is, either guides would have to be removed and a new grip slid on or the seat and grip removed and the new grip put on from the back. I don't really like the last option as the grip would not be fitting the blank as close as it should. A 4pc rod would allow a new grip to be slid on without removing anything but the hook keeper and the old grip.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

There was a similar question on another forum. It was suggested to try wrapping the grip to make it larger and maybe a better fit. There are many good choices found with the tennis raquet grip wraps. You should be able to find some choices on the net.

Blog Entries

I bet it can be sanded to a shape you will like better, find a rod repair person near you and ask them.

flybugpa,

I will present my fix and hopefully guys/gals with actual experience can chime in and tell you if my suggestion is doable! If I HAD to do it, I was thinking that you could get some over sized cork rings - ream them out so they slip over the existing rings in the area you want your half-wells - glue rings together and glue them to the grip - when dry, rough shape with sharp knife or safety razor blade - go to wood files - go to sandpaper (60(?) grit>200 grit>400(?)grit and your done - see, easy!!! IF I HAD TO!!!!! Let me ask this: Why can't the corks on the grip just be removed in the area of the half-wells entirely, and be replaced and shaped?

Best regards, Dave S.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

There is a way to repair individual rings, which, in essence, is what you need to do. You remove the desired rings, then you ream out the hole in the new rings to fit the rod shaft at a given ring location. Be sure to clean any residual cork from the blank in the area. Do this one-by-one for each specific ring location. Next, you cut the ring in half ACROSS the hole. You now have to "C" shaped pieces of cork. Simply coat all requisite sides with glue and put into place. Usually, the fit between the replaced rings and those lateral to them is sufficient to hold them snugly in place. However, they will need to be bound with string for 'hoop' pressure to hold the two pieces together and to the rod shaft. If they need to be bound lengthwise. simply put large nails, small bolts, etc., directly opposite one another at both ends of, and perpendicular to the axis of, the grip (you will need four to eight hands to accomplish this!) and bind in a figure "8" fashion back and forth from tip to butt end, and alternating from side to side around the shaft. Once the glue has dried, you can sand to any shape your heart desires.

By the way, if you replace more than one ring, whether or not they are adjacent to one another, be sure to alternate the joint between the two halves at various points AROUND the shaft. This way, if the glue joint should ultimately show, they won't all be in a line with one another. With a little patina on the rings, they won't show anyway.

This very old ring repair technique seems to have gone the way of the nickle cigar, as I have not seen it referenced, or diagrammed, in years; but, it does work! I have previously used it.

Hope this makes sense. If you have questions or problems, feel free to PM me.

aged sage
    Last edited by aged_sage; 12-17-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Bass_Bug Guest

Just out of curiosity, whats the value of this rod, and what does replacing the grip DO to the value of this rod? On a home built rod like many of us have, it's no big deal. On a higher end factory rod....... I think I'd leave it alone myself and use the opportunity to build a custom rod.

flybugpa,

This may sound like a dumb question, but does the manufacturer make your rod with a half wells? You might try selling yours and getting what you need? If the rod has sentimental value, then my question would be moot. Very good advice/instructions from aged sage!! I also googled " replacing corks on fly rod handle" and got a bunch of sites, such as the URL below. Hope this helps!

Best regards, Dave S.

http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/lewis/grips/
    Last edited by fishdog54; 12-18-2010 at 01:40 AM. Reason: additional info

+ Reply to Thread