+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does talking scare fish?

My Grandfather would say "Be quiet, you will scare the fish." My Dad would say "Be quiet, you will scare the fish." My grandfather and dad both caught lots of fish. Who am I to question their wisdom.

fishbum

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I for one am on the side of talking spooks fish !! I've BEEN THERE !!!! I don't believe it is the sound of human voices, but it is the sound of something unfamiliar to them.
    And I really like it quite out there, and just listen to the water, wind, birds, squirrels, etc.

So maybe it's me !!! LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    My Grandfather would say "Be quiet, you will scare the fish." My Dad would say "Be quiet, you will scare the fish." My grandfather and dad both caught lots of fish. Who am I to question their wisdom. fishbum
    When fishing in the company of a youngster there is a lot more to "Being quiet" than not talking. There no throwing rocks, sticks, sweet gum balls, cow chips, whatever can be thrown in the water and all the other things a kid can do to make noise. I was probably at least a regional champion at asking questions also, I may have been the best in the state (or at least that's what I have been told.)
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Does talking scare fish?

No, it just bugs me Unless, of course, I'm talking to myself, which I find very soothing at times, yet alarmingly annoying at others...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by jjtroutbum View Post
    This tale was obviously perpetrated long ago by a husband that was forced to fish with his wife.

I won't tell your wife, if you won't tell mine. lol
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjtroutbum View Post
    This tale was obviously perpetrated long ago by a husband that was forced to fish with his wife.
    I thought my grandfather made this up when I was 8
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

I think fish get used to things and respond to things out of the normal. I along with my three kids once stood on a bridge over a small river in Yellowstone and watched a trout feeding just below me, He was used to people and movement on the bridge so my being there didn't spook him, I suspect that if I had been on a log in the boonies over the same size river looking down on him with my three grade schoolers he would have disappeared in about 1/10th of a second. I believe that noise (talking) is the same way, if your fishing in a park that has people around at all times then talk. if your in a back woods environment then be quiet.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I think if you're talking politics, the world economy, or religion..........yes!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

my dad used to tell me that all the time.. but.. my sonseems to onlycatch fish when he's gabbing away a mile a minute and not paying any or attention at all. I don't know what it is... but they like to hear him talk.
    My mom says it's all physics. I say that's my problem.. Just look at my old report cards....

Anybody that plays poker knows that excessive talking can scare the fish at the table

Tim

+ Reply to Thread