+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heard this through the grapevine , new smart phone upgrade in the works...

Default Heard this through the grapevine , new smart phone upgrade in the works...

If you're considering a jump SOON, WAIT.

Motorola/VZW are releasing their LTE Dual-core, Tegra2 (that's an Nvidia graphics chip for mobile devices that is pretty stinkin' NICE) equipped android phone called the Etna, in April. It also will come with gingerbread (Android version 2.3. Android 2.2, which is when Flash 10.1 was integrated fully, is called Frozen Yogurt or FroYo. 2.1 was Eclair. 1.6 was Donut, and 1.5 was Cupcake.... each major revision takes on a pastry name corresponding with the rev letter).

Maybe now might be a good time to sit on your hands and wait. We're on a serious generational cusp with respect to hardware, with LTE coming out (requiring a different hardware chipset in the phones to use, so current 3G phones CANNOT use LTE), and dual core processors and even 2.0Ghz single-core processors coming out. I fear the X and the Incredible are about to be seriously eclipsed severely in the Spring.

Though those of us who have tweaked/streamlined our phones will be using them effectively for a while longer. Allows us to really take advantage of the hardware we've got. That's why you still see some power users using original Droids... b/c they've got theirs customized and tweaked very nicely thus still making them viable tools even compared to stock droid X's and Droid Incredibles.

Blog Entries

Steve,

Reading what you posted really showed me just how far behind the times I am. I have virtually no idea what that post was about.

Excuse me, I think I should have vanished with all the dinosaurs since I am one.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Larry,

I must admit I had to speak to a friend who is a tekkie type and is addicted to these type of phone gadgets...
    I don't own a smart phone now but may sometime next year.
    And boy do like frozen yogurt, donuts, cupcakes, and eclairs...

I also figured there likely are members here that will chime in and enlighten us even more and maybe
    this post will save some people $$ at the same time...
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I'm with sage on this. Last thing I tweaked was my back. As the old joke goes, my back goes out more often than I do. I really have to speed up my cunneiform writing on those clay tablets 2.0. Anybody got some Sen-Sen; I think I'm going to have a drink...where did I put that Falstaff???

I'm with Mark and Larry on this one. I have a cell phone, but it is just that...a phone. No caller ID. No voice mail. I refuse to live my life staring at a 2x3 inch screen!

By the way Mark, I found my Weideman, did you find your Falstaff??
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Steve,
    I too join the ranks of " I haven't a clue" as to your post. I, however, do have a smart phone (Apple iPhone 4) and it's smarter than I am. " According to one's needs" is a probably the best reasoning for having or not having a smart phone. I use mine for business and it's INVALUABLE in that respect. If you use a phone ONLY to call friends etc. you'd be NUTS to opt for the $100+ monthly fee .

Mark

The operating system is preaty musch normal anymore, android 2.3. The dual processor sounds really fast and nice but no mention of ram. If does not have at least 16G"s of ram it is a waste of money. People with smart phones still think of them as phones. These phones have to be thought of as a hand held computer. It would amaze you at the number of calls I get from people that say my phone is running really slow it is a piece of junk. You ask them when was the last time you cleared your history, cache, and cookies they say what? Back to the phone at hand I would be interested to see whay kind of ram it will have. Not disposible memory but built in. all the mention of pastry is just software nothing more and quite bluntly any decent phone has all of that.

I was wondering what's with the pastry... Thanks for the infor HB..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

So, where's the slot for my dime???

Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread