+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Fly Fishing Rod/Reel

Default First Fly Fishing Rod/Reel

Mr. Castwell has a great column this week on ones the first flyrod. I can relate. My first flyrod was a Wright McGill "Trailmaster pack rod" The reel a Pflueger 1494. I had the good sense to invest in Air Cell WF line. I gave the rod to #2 son who backpacks in Oregon about 15 years ago, he still uses it. I still have the reel and works as good as the day I bought it over 35 years ago. Yes Jim, I broke my 2nd rod, thats another story. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST ROD/REEL?

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

Still have my first rod, which is a phleugar 8 foot three peice 5/6 weight. My first reel was a Phluegar 1494. Right after i got it, the drag broke, so now I have a cabelas prestige disc drag. It was only 30 buck marked down from 50, but I really like it. THe drag is very smooth and it is an atractive reel

In Portland, Oregon where I grew up, there was a Monkie Wards, huge store, 8 stories high, the 5th floor was all sporting goods on one side, paint and tools on the other. I loved that store! It was paradise for a 10 year old boy.

I watched Gaddabout Gaddis Fly Fishing and I just had to do it! Begged my parents for months for a Fly Rod and Reel.

Finally got a brand new Roddy Fly Rod and Automatic Fly Reel. I learned how to cast it well enough to catch me some Bluegill. I was pobably about 11 or 12 at the time.

Been hooked ever since!

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

PanFisher, that is good story. My new son-in-law came to meet me at our cabin at Sisters Oregon several years ago. I had never met him (this was courtship years with our daughter) and I told him to bring a fly rod if he had one. He showed up, we met and of course he was very fine fellow. He pulled out an old glass rod with an old Pflueger auto reel on it. He said it was hid dads and was given to him a couple of years ago. It would no retreive line, so I took it apart, cleaned out the old gunk grease, re-lubed it and said it was ready to go. I imagine he was one of the only fellows fly fishing on the Metolius that day with a auto wind reel. He caught fish. Ignorance is bliss. Jonezee

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

My first fly rod was a Japanese cane. I could be wrong, but as I remember it, it was $3.00 new.
    The reel was a Japanese pflueger knock-off that I still have. I still have most of the pieces to the rod too
    My first decent rod was a Lamiglass 7 1/2' 4wt.
    that my dad built for me close to 35 years ago.

------------------
    fishing will do a lot for a man, but it won't make him truthful
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

7. Default

Shakespeare Wonder rod and Japanese copy of a Pfluger mMedalist reel. That was 35 yrs ago. Took them out last summer and had a blast. That Wonder rod can be a real noodle!

The Sage Discovery and matching Sage reel (It was a combo) and man what a great rod.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

An Eagle Claw-8 1/2 foot "Champion" for line 7. I still have the rod and it hangs on the wall of my studio. The reel was a Shakespere automatic. It was terrible. I soon purchased South Bend single action, which again, I still have.

My best,
    Mark

A Cortland combo bought early 1980's. Consisted of a Cortland Crown II 7.5' 5/6 weight 2 piece rod, Cortland Rimfly reel, and 333 DT 6wt line. I recall paying less than $40 for it. Still have it and fish it regularly.

+ Reply to Thread