+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Holy Cow....I hit a cow!

Too bad about the cow but lucky for you your O.K. - cars & trucks can be fixed or replaced.

Reminds of years ago when I had to attend a driving school, seems the company I worked for (driving their car) would get an insurance cost break if we all went to the safe driving class. One of the major topics that I remembered very well was that if you were driving 55 mph at night you would not be able to stop in time with the headlight low beams ... in other words you would be overdriving your headlights. Wouldn't you guess that on the way home that night, driving 55 mph (speed limit), with the low beams on, there suddenly appeared before me, in my lane, a dog just standing there! I put that car on it's nose trying to come to a screaching halt, but ran over the dog! Geeze I felt bad! But there I was in the middle of nowhere, no houses around - so I drug the poor old dog off the road and drove on. Really bothered me. But I remember it very well and so if your ever behind me at night on some stretch of road and I can't use my brights, look for me doing about 45.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    But I remember it very well and so if your ever behind me at night on some stretch of road and I can't use my brights, look for me doing about 45.
    I live 20 miles out of town and often have to drive that stretch in the dark. I will not drive over 55 in the dark for that same reason, and always slow down when faced with an oncoming vehicle.

Thank you rahchwife for the information. Very informative and good information for me.

Dale, you pretty much nailed it. That was exackery my problem, right past the headlights of the other car were the cows!

I have done the slow down bit before oncoming cars many many times due to wiping the hiney of a big bull elk one time. I don't think there is any speed at which you can really see past the oncoming car. I probably should have put MY bright lights on but didn't. Courtesy to the oncoming car. The bozo. If he had flashed his lights only one time, or turned on his 4way's I would have had a clue. He did not behave that way at all. Totally fooled me. I was thinking he had car trouble and was slowing down to help him. He fled the seen as fast as he could go!

oh well.....good thing is I am ok. Poor cow was not a youngun....so I assume she had a good life.

My thanks to you know who for my safety.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well, Jim, I been away awhile, and first thing I see when I get back here is you slammed a cow. Way bummer, bro...
    I lived in heavy cow and deer country for most of my life, sticks and puckerbrush country. I know the drill about "can't see what's comin' when lights are in yer eyes" Totalled a nice van hittin' a big ol' mule deer doe like that once. Sorry to hear it, bro. , but I'm glad you're OK.
    Back in Modoc county where I'm from we got a sayin' "There's two kinds of drivers around here, them that's hit a deer and them that's gonna"
    However, I've seen the difference, and hittin a cow's a bigger deal, usually...............later ModocDan

My brother ran into a cow late one nite flipped on the hood and in the windshield.... Ranch owner had a fence in need of repair
    and the herd wondered out into the road..

Brother was injured badly and did sue the Ranch owner,,,
    No question cattle are the responsibility of their owners at least that is what my bro found out and it
    was a good thing for him as he still is hurting and this happened years ago..

Glad you were not injured

Be safe
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

people drive way too fast on the country roads here at night. Lots of suicidal deer. I usually do 35 and have people behind me all mad and passing. One day I know I'll catch up to one who had slammed a deer .

+ Reply to Thread