+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is an 81/2 rod easier on your hand casting than a 9 foot of the same mf.

Ever try a 10' single- handed rod? Can be tough on the wrist after a while.

Chuck

Ever try a 10' single- handed rod? Can be tough on the wrist after a while.
    I use them steelheading and i've never had a problem with them. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. lol.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

From a ember who has RA. Longer equates to more torque and therefore more joint strain but it doesn't become really apparent until you get into that 7 weight rod and especially up. The difference between a 9 ft 9 wt, three piece RPLX, was very pronounced over the much lighter and a bit shorter two piece 8'9" RPLX, very noticable. I also tried exactly the same rod with both being two pieces a couple of year later and found exactly the same results. Physics says it must be so but doesn't tell us exactly how much or how much a given person will feel. Ten ft road really amplifiy the difference over a 9 ft rod as I've checked that out many times. The ten can be a joint wrecker, (elbows, wrists, shoulders) for someone with joint problems to start. Got with the 8 1/2 although they might be harder to find as 9 is more common and never look back for the heavier weight rods. For 6 wt and under the length will not matter as much depending on severity of the Arthritis. Another factor that's pure physics is the stiffness of the rod, within reason. Stiffer equates to a longer fulcrum therefore is harder on the joints. I favor a medium action, light rod in 8.5-9 ft for general use but most often settle with a nine as they are much easier to find.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

deepcreek,

In the past I saw a product being sold that attaches to your wrist and the rod which was supposed to keep you from using too much wrist. I'm wondering if it could help? Ah ha, found one in the 2010 Cabelas fly fishing catalog - called the Wulff Wristlock - $14,95. I have checked a number of other sources for this product, but no luck, just Cabelas.

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

The bigger the wt rod the more aggravated Arthur gets for me. I recently got a couple of Switch Rods to spread the casting load across both hands, arms, and shoulders. A big relief.

The real issue is finding ways to keep fly fishing.
    Max

I've had a painful condition called dystonia in my wrist for many years and have gone to lighter rods and reels--specifically from a 9 ft. 5 wt to a 8.5 4 wt. and a 8 .5 3 wt. What I've found most helpful is a simple wrist brace (Mueller made the one I'm using and I got it from an online speciality house, but have been told a like product can be had at Wal-Mart).

The wrist brace is so important in lessening pain that I wll not fish without it. Three hours of casting is still my limit, though, and after 5 hours on the SF of the Rio Grande today, I quit, even though trout were still taking, because of the pain (and oh, yes, the 17 trout brought to hand contributed to the strain).
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe there could be much difference with the same rod just in the shorter length. I do think that the 9' rod would roll cast easier and that might help a lot. I also think that the line might make a bigger difference than the rod length, as different line cast easier at certain ranges. Also shorting up the cast would help greatly, much easier to cast 30 feet than 60 feet with almost any combination. I would think that the bigger issue would be the strain from the actual catching of the fish, because with any rod at all you still will be fighting the fish with just one hand at least part of the time. For that the longer rod might have the advantage.

No one has asked which joints are arthritic and whether your friend has rheumatoid or degenerative arthritis. I would think that rather than changing the rod length, a modification of his casting stroke might be a better solution.

Is he a wrist caster? Is the arthritis in the wrist? Maybe changing the stroke from the wrist to the shoulder or elbow would be of benefit? It could benefit him to look at his stroke dynamic and his arthritic joints to see if there is way for him to cast without suing those joints as much.

Also rather than rod length, a change in rod action to a softer action would spread out the force on his joints over a longer stroke and make casting easier on his joints. Bobinmich mentioned this and I think he is correct. I also agree on the lightest rod and reel combo.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I've had some shoulder problems over the years that have allow me person experience with casting problems related to aging joints. I personally don't think that a rod which is six inches shorter is going to make any difference one way or the other. As others have suggested, a lighter weight rod will make all the difference in the world. I can cast a #4 weight all day but I will pay dearly for casting a #9 weight for just a couple of hours. I also find a mid-flex action to be easier on the joints than really fast rods. Also I would suggest giving up the Clousers and super-heavy flies. Limit casting distance if possible. There a lot of difference between flipping out a thirty foot cast and trying to get every inch of distance that your rod has to give. Summary: Lighter weight rod, softer action and shorter distances will help a lot. Just my 2% of a dollar; I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

I've been experimenting. With both a bad shoulder (3 surgeries rotator cuff) and arthur in the hands, I've found so far the old Orvis Far & Fine, 7ft something, 5 weight, reasonably soft works the best. It won't allow me to throw the whole line and can only handle minimal double haul, but that was the intention. I can fish with it. You might want to consider something similar. Just keep doing it, okay?

+ Reply to Thread