+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installinig New Fly Line

A line winder like this or this helps GREATLY. There are lots of homemade options out there as well that while not as portable, beat using tables or trees to hold line.

BTW - A buddy of mine scored a FEW of the Angler's Image winders on closeout at one of the big box outdoor retailers. It wasn't Cabela's or Bass Pro, I'm thinking it was Gander Mountain. He paid around $20 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    A line winder like this or this helps GREATLY. There are lots of homemade options out there as well that while not as portable, beat using tables or trees to hold line.

BTW - A buddy of mine scored a FEW of the Angler's Image winders on closeout at one of the big box outdoor retailers. It wasn't Cabela's or Bass Pro, I'm thinking it was Gander Mountain. He paid around $20 each.

Yep a line winder helps a lot---actually 2---pui line on and fill with backing to desired level---wind the cut end of the backing onto the winder---wind it on another line winder to reverse it and then back on the spool correctly---mine backfired on a tibor gulfstream reel with 400 yds of power pro for backing in the winder to winder stage when the cheap winder bearing siezed up and it all had to be taken off by hand and strung out on 3 floors of my condo and done the hard way----an 1/2 hr job took all evening and 2 beers.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Quote Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
    Yep a line winder helps a lot---actually 2---pui line on and fill with backing to desired level---wind the cut end of the backing onto the winder---wind it on another line winder to reverse it and then back on the spool correctly---mine backfired on a tibor gulfstream reel with 400 yds of power pro for backing in the winder to winder stage when the cheap winder bearing siezed up and it all had to be taken off by hand and strung out on 3 floors of my condo and done the hard way----an 1/2 hr job took all evening and 2 beers.
    Hope you had some good beer!
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Just one of many Rube Goldberg ways..

I do the backing like already posted ... do the fly line first, then the backing, then reverse the operation. And I have a homemade winder for the lines that the plans for making it I thought came from this site. When I find my camera I'll take a pic and post it!(LOL)

I noticed something on about all my lined reels is that the right amount of backing always seems to appear at the very edge of the smaller inside holes of the reel, like the pic posted - look real close at the bottom of those inside holes and I think that's the backing. Anyway, seems to come out about that way on my reels.

ducksterman - I really like that orange contraption! The bird cage one might not go over to well with your bird. However, if you have a gerbil you could exercise it at the same time.

Normand - Do it the same way. Not the wife one, but the other one! Then I take the reel outside and unwrap the reel around two distant posts/trees, basically around anything thats clean.

You could get a couple of the neighborhood kids to spread out and wrap it around them, or if you have a dog that listens to you, you could tie it to his/her collar and send it out for a long distance retrieve. Remember when doing the dog one to use a very heavy tippet because the dog might not be to keen on this and you may have to horse them in! LOL!!! Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread