+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trout fishing, A couple of questions for all....

A) Probably 60% trout.

B) ~80% of my trout fishing in moving water.

C) Moving water is easier to read (for me), still water is less physically demanding. (Smarter people than me probably can wade with fewer physical demands!)

D) Prefer moving water, likely due to starting my fishing in moving water.

a) Trout 80% of the time
    b) 99% moving water
    c) I don't think either is easier or harder, just different
    d) I definitely prefer moving water, still water bores me to tears (YMMV)
    Bob

I usually only get to trout fish 2 or 3 times per year for 5 to 10 days per trip. This is usually at the stocked trout streams in southern Missouri, like Bennett Springs. This is all moving water although some of it isn't moving very fast. There is one pretty nice riffle area that is good for late afternoon dry fly action which i enjoy, but I also enjoy stripping Cracklebacks in another area or just catching fish on the fly rod almost anywhere. I did manage to catch a few trout in the Blue, the Yellowstone, and the Gallatin this summer and that was both different and about the same fun as fishing at Bennett Springs. Most of my fishing, due to location, is warm water fishing but still mostly with the fly rod. I have 5 days comming up next month trout fishing at Bennett Springs and am soooo looking forward to it.

Trout in rivers.
    No access or places for others yet.
    Will still fish predominately trout in rivers because stillwater is boring.
    Dry Flies more than sunken, as I can't catch fish on sunk flies.
    Rivers are, on average, prettier.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I fish for trout when you need to get out the plastic worms to catch bass then I get out the trout rods.

I fish the Chattahoochee River which moves unless I get to come to the Mogollon Rim in AZ.

Although I don't really know what I am doing, moving water is easier to figure out. There are more visual clues, a lake with trout is pretty much a crap shoot to me. I starting fishing when I was about 5; I start seriously fishing for trout at about 60, almost 5 years ago, so my general knowledge of trout fishing is equilvalent to a 10 year old.

I really don't care much what the water is doing if the fish are biting. If I had to go to a strange lake or a strange stream, I would probably chose the stream, because there are more visual clue on where the fish will be hanging out. My friend in Phoenix and I went to Ft. Apachee about 01 for the first time, he grew up in Utah and did not have a clue what to use on the lake. The only fish we caught was an Apachee Trout on a AZ Peacock Lady that was basically being trolled. The next year some veteran of Earl Park Lake told us what the fish were hitting and we did well.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I fish for trout on a regular basis
    I fish mostly in still waters
    I don't know, it's just two different way of doing the same thing
    I don't prefer one over the other, lake fishing is usually cheaper and closer to home

Thorarinn

A. I fish for trout almost exclusively from late July on.

B. Fly Fishing... it has kind of changed. Last year I was 70/30 still waters trout fishing. This year, I'm about 90/10 moving water. The main reason for this is due to the fact that every time I plan to hit the lakes, it is windy. Have much better luck fly fishing in calm waters.

C. For me, Still Water is the easiest. I can generally position myself so that I don't have to worry about my back cast. Additionally, the fish aren't as spooky to my presence in a still water environment. That being said, I have not caught a single fish on a lake fly fishing this year. So maybe streams are easier?!

D. I prefer still waters, less likely to get tangled up on a back cast. My dog is easier to track, as she is normally in the boat, or tied to a tree next to my fishing spot. Stream fishing, she has been known to run off a 100+ yards from where I'm fishing. Can be a little worrisome when I'm in wilderness country of the Winds.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    Buddy, thanks for starting this thread. Many of us probably take for granted that most everyone else does what we do, in my case, fish for trout almost exclusively. It's definitely a bigger world out there.
    LoL! I have NEVER fished for trout! All I catch on my fly rod are bluegill, bass, and crappies.
    That is because I live in the troutless zone of the midwest. Smack dab in the middle, north of the Missouri trout streams and south of the Iowa trouts.

But I'm not fretting it. I am taking advantage of the warmwaters and ponds to improve my technique in casting and learn to present the fly. And next fall, when my boyfriend and I are married, We are going to buy our first pair of waders and we are going on a fly-fishing honeymoon!

(I just realized it sounds like we are buying just one pair of waders for the both of us! LoL, now THAT would be a good wedding present...!)
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

1. No. Not on a regular basis. Once a year or so for a week is about it. Other than that, it's warm water for bass, bluegill, crappies, etc. There are some stocked lakes around here and I've tried it but it just isn't the same.

2. Moving water almost excusively. I've done a little lake fishing locally for stockers, but not very seriously and with no luck.

3. I think moving water is easiest because I feel that the fish have less time to examine the "meal". But then again, it may be my prejudice because that's been the majority of my trouting.

4. If I could, I'd fish moving water for trout every day, twice a day and three times on weekends. I can look at lakes and fish lakes any time I want and they really hold no great attraction for me anymore. Unless it's way up North...that would be something different!!!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Most of my fishing is for trout, and nearly all of it is in moving water (I find rivers to be more interesting than lakes, just my opinion). I find moving waters to be easier, but that may just be because that is all I really have practice in. However, I would rather just be out fishing (moving or still water) than doing most anything else.
    I spend a little time on the mountain, I spend a little time on the hill...

+ Reply to Thread