+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OVER THE HILL GANG - Ladyfisher - September 13, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mahanvey View Post
    but the fact is... who is going to turn loose a ten year old with a $200 rod $150 reel etc. etc... when they can go to wal-mart at get a $25 spinning rod and fish?...
    I am not going to tell anyone you can get started flyfishing for $25, although with enough hunting you might, you certainly don't have to spend $300 for a rod and reel to fly fish for trout, bass, bream and the fish most of us chase. Cabelas and BPS both have perfect fine rod for under $75 everyday, Albright sells rods regularly for for around $50. Cabelas and BPS have good reels starting at around $30 with disk drags, I think the BPS Dogwood Canyon reel had the record for a redfish caught on fly tackle.

When I fell in love with the flinging of line there was no such thing as a video game or an ipod, text message which kids seem to have plenty of money to buy. But I think people still got telegrams when the message was real important, using the morse code sent with a key, not a keyboard.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Mao, you would have severe challenges as a teacher in Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho. We are comin' up on the most sacred season of all in those parts, ELK Season! There are cities in Wyoming that nearly shut down for Elk season. Schools are at least 25-30% down on attendance at a minimum! Teachers and schools are expected to deal with it.

While I appreciate the challenges you face, as well as your opinions on this even though they are educated opinions (pun intended), educators can accommodate something like this.

What would your opinion be if this was a school sponsored biological study?

We can agree, I think that things are learned best when the lessons can be applied. Think of how many potenial applied lessons there might be in a fly fishing expedition. We can start with biological identification of various fish species, where they live, how they feed, what they feed on. How about the entomology involved? The stages of a bug's life, etc. Now let's go back to camp and fighure out how to make that fantastic camp recipe for 4 feed 10. Last, how about a written report on the trip when it's over requiring outlining, references, quotes, and learned experiences? The learned experience from that one week while they were out having kicks and giggles could possibly be more than you could pound into them over a month's time in a conventional classroom setting.

Make it a plus, a learning experience. It's a blessing, not a curse.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

3. Default

Well Deanna, you are right on the money again.

I can say a few things on this subject, having coordinated two youth fly fishing clubs for a period of eight years. Price is a big factor. Honestly what kid can afford to lay out the $$$ in start up that most clerks in the fly shops pitch. What parent is will to lay out those $$$ for what they see a fleeting fancy. Parents will put out the money for hockey or football because in their mind they see scholarships.

As I see it the industy has priced themself out of the market of young people while catering to a select few. When I was coordinating the youth clubs, I looked for wholesalers who were willing to work with me in group buying. I sent letters to the parents informing them of this option and we did three big orders a year (the pre-christmas order was always the biggest). That way the kids got reasonable equipment (not the best) and the parents didn't mind the bill. Everybody would like to own a Caddilac someday, but need to see no shame in and be satified to start out with the old family car.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishingnewsman View Post
    As I see it the industry has priced themselves out of the market of young people while catering to a select few.
    I was going to post something like this earlier.

I see no reason that a starter fly fishing outfit has to cost more than a starter spinning outfit. There is little difference in the construction of the rods themselves. A fly reel is a lot simpler than a spinning reel. The line is a bit more expensive, but that should be offset by the less expensive reel.

I think I am going to do some digging.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

You can buy a starter outfit fron Cortland for about thirty dollars at Wal-mart. Martin also ofers a complete outfit in that price range. I don't think these glass rods are very good but they will let you get started very economically. Another option is the Fenwick gt rods selling on e-bay for about $40. They are outstanding rods for the price and matched with a $20 reel and $12 line from wal-mart would give you an excellent trout/panfish outfit.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread