+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who liked "the movie..."

Default Am I the only one who liked "the movie..."

I started flyfishing without having seen "A River Runs Through It", but I've noticed that this movie is referred to with disdain regularly on this and other sites, and blamed for a plethora of ills that afflict the sport. Now, I've read the book (first) and watched the film, and hang me if I'm wrong, but it's not actually about fishing at all, but about people who happen to hold flyfishing in high regard, not people flyfishing.

So okay, I liked both the book and the movie. Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I think this movie has received a bad rap. It just happened to release at the same time that a large number of people found themselves as the beneficiary of good economic times, when people were able to spend a few bucks on a hobby. It ain't the product of the Anti-Christ. Perhaps (typed with a smile and in jest) I should be banned.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

I liked them both, the book more (as it the case with most book/movie combos. I had a problem with the movie's faithfulness to the book, but all movie adaptations are that way.

I think that most of the "disdain" has more to do with the fact that there was a huge surge in the numbers of fishers, followed by a surge in the price of equipment. The surge died of, as surges do, leading to that age-old cause of disdain for those who got on and off the bandwagon. Prices stayed high, leading to further disdain for the wanna-bes who quit. Same effect for transplanted Californians in other western states. I was "lucky" enough to get into the sport about that time, like you, and I found that the disparagement was much worse for the noobs at that time.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I fell in love with fly fishing when I was a kid sculling a jon boat around for my cousin who was catching big black bull bluegills in north MS. So the movie did not affect my feelings for the sport one way or the other. Generally thinking I remember the movie being about two brothers who loved to flyfish. The better fisherman was irresponsible and generally screwed up his life. The other was responsible and successful and still fished a little but without the passion his brother exhibited. Overall, I thought the movie was boring, kind of a "chick flick" that suckered a lot of guys into watching.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I never read the book and I have only seen a small portion of the movie (can't sit doing nothing long enough to watch an entire movie). So I can't give you an opinion one way or the other. I have noticed a lot of people reference the movie and it does seem to be a negative review. Did nothing to persuade me to watch or not as I said, can't sit still long enough to watch it anyway.

First fly rod was thrust into my hands by my father sometime when I was about 10. Maybe younger, can't remember 'cause it was over 50 years ago. Funny thing was we didn't seem to distinguish much between fishing with fly rods or with spinning gear as both were used about equally. Although I didn't really think much about fly fishing back then when I did really get started back into with the passion I have today "the movie" was released shortly after. You would think someone that had rediscovered fly fishing and with passion would stand in line at the theater to see "the movie". Nope, haven't been to a movie theater in over 30 years and I haven't sat thru an entire movie anywhere for at least that long.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

the movie was so so at best. the book is excellent, an american classic about a family in deep dysfunction.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

I liked them both also! Especially the scene where the boat goes over the falls. Especially since I know the falls, the falls are on Granite creek just below the swimming pool, Granite Hot Springs.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Loved the movie, loved the book.

When the movie Jeremiah Johnson came out, a lot of the folks who hunted exclusively black powder (the ones who thought they had the woods all to themselves) spoke of "The Movie" with great disdain. Reason being; a lot of folks were all of a sudden in the woods. I fear that that is the same wrap that "A River....." is suffering. To be honest, I think both of "The Movies" did a lot to introduce both sports to a great many people. I personally don't have a problem with that and I think "A River....." was a good movie. I didn't read the book.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Okay, fine "The Movie" caused an influx of new fly fisherman looking for "that" fish, but what about the site we are posting on right now. Or the magazines that publicize every "secret" river or hidden spring? Not to mention the elaborate fishing reports that we can't get enough of. I mean, be honest, whom is to blame but ourselves? We promote fly fishing, we teach fly fishing, and we share fly fishing. Well, I personally go out of my way to learn and help others figure it out themselves. Why can't we just accept that it was a movie and only a movie. I own the book and movie for the entertainment, not the message it sends or an excuse for our growing fly fishing population. If you don't want company, don't tell anyone where to go. If you want to be the only one catching fish, don't tell anyone how to do it. If you don't like the pricey equipment, stop paying for it. If you don't like "The Movie", don't watch it. Be leaders and guide newcomers with open arms, embrace their quest for knowledge regardless of why they're curious about fly fishing.
    Lou

Loved the movie but it didn't affect my desire or love for trout fishing in the least... or fly fishing in general.

+ Reply to Thread