+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cool.....

Default Preaching to the Choir!

I agree with Mato Kuwapi!

We have had this conversation many time over the past 13 years on FAOL's "Bulletin Board", also in the "Angler's Hut". Lot of messages of fishing with 3 weight fly rods for 24-inch trout, only to release it after it is brought to the net. Since then the anglers who need to test their fly rods to the breaking point to experience their ultimate aim, have progressed to repeating their exploits on 2-weight, 1-weight, and even 0-weight fly rods. Similar to when Limbo Dancing was all the rage many years ago, the expression was "How low can you go, as the bar held out for the dancers to limbo under was lowered after each dancer attempted to limbo under the bar.

Lets not do the limbo dance when it deals with catching and releasing fish. If the rod and line are too light to handle the fish quickly, any released fish will in a short time after release, Die! So what I am saying, to use a high enough weigh fly rod and line, to quickly bring the fish to net,without damaging the fish, for successful, release.

There also the mattern of over-fishing a given water source, by too many anglers, that each might pratice catch and release or catch and keep. Catch and Release (15% mortality rate of fish), Catch and Keep (100% mortality rate). Too many anglers fishing for a finite poplulation of fish, will cause the fish population to crash, causing the fish population not to be able to replenish the fish stock to a population capable of subtaning its poplulation in the the water ecosystem.

Fishery Experts know that when a fish is hooked, it is fighting for its life. Toxins buildup in the fishes muscles, that can causes the fish death after it is released. State Fishery authorities have done countless studies, that show, that if catch and release is done there is a 15% mortality rate of fish dying. I do not think that these State Fishery authorities on the subject, ever included anglers that catch and release fish on fishing rods and lines that are too light for quickly bring in the fish, and just as quickly releasing the fish.

I only can speak for myself. I catch and release most of the time when fly fishing, I do not handle the fish too much (it can remove the slime from the fishes body that protects it from infections), I don't remove the fish from the water ( net the fish a fishing net that will not damage the fishes protective body coating. I insure that the fish has regained its strength before releasing it.

If the fish is hooked badly and I deem that it will not survive after being release, I will kill the fish, but cutting out its gills and draining the fishes blood. This is the best way to dispatch the fish, lot better than smashing it with a blunt instrument on the head.

Fishing is and always be a killing sport, there is no way to remove the demise of some of the fish you catch, even if you try to practice "Catch & Release"! ~Parnelli

Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you got till it's gone
    They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 09-01-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: new title

Loved the replies; just as expected. NJTroutbum gets the prize for common sense and clarity.
    Short, lightweight rod with 3X tippet (direct contact with the fish) or, long rod 5-6 wt. in today's stiff, "I can cast 300' materials", with whispy 6-7X tippet.
    Which gives you better leverage?
    Which allows quick landing? I'm talking 30-45 seconds here, not 5 minutes or more!

I don't hurt fish; I crawl all over the spinners and pluggers and "fly experts" that do in my presense and, I have a ton of fun fly fishing.

Well folks....on a serious note, there is no intention of starting a war or singling anybody out. But I do find myself on the outside of these discussions more than not. While I don't personally own a 1wt or an 0wt.....I don't specifically target the ultra-lite extremes of fly fishing. I have nothing against it at all. Nor do I have anything against folks who choose to fish the heaviest they can get by with. The lightest rod I have is a 3wt glass rod. But I try to match the rod to the water & hatches. I've caught some large trout on that little 3wt. It was an enjoyable experience. Likewise, I find no enjoyment after setting the hook on landing a 10" fish on a 7wt rod. For me, the playing of the fish is a huge part of fishing. And if the gear I am using will not break if I make a mistake when playing a fish, then after hooking the fish I am done as far as that catch goes.

In extreme situations.....a 30lb king on a 5wt trout rod.....a 20lb carp in moving water on a ultralight spinning rod....a 200lb ray on a light surf rod.....I would and have cut or broken my line. But honestly, it was more for the uselessness of losing an entire line, burning up a reel, or breaking a rod in an excersize in futility. Not because I didn't "want" to land the fish. That's just me.

If I finally set the hook on a 24" brown on a #24 trico spinner.....on that little 3wt glass rod? Sorry, but it's game on for me:^) That's why I'm out there:^) And if I do everything right....exactly right....I'll land that fish. and do everything in my power to release it in good health. But I'll do it all the while knowing that if I make a mistake....even the slightest mistake, the fish will win.

+ Reply to Thread