+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenkara

If you tend to fish that way pretty consistently thru the course of a day, you might want to go with a right angle set up. Attach your indicator to the end of your tenkara line (or perhaps a single strand mono extension), then attach your tippet as a dropper off your main line. Just a thought.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Just outta curiosity, Has anyone tried 20Lb Amneisia as a level line? With the Yamame, Since this is a mono type line with very little memory & makes an awesome running line behind shooting head (Conventional Rig) and being that it comes in two great colors, Chart & Red It just seems that for the heavier rod and heavier flies one might use with it... It could be a good way to go..? Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by billknepp; 08-30-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Hi Bill - One of the level lines I use (especially in poor lighting conditions) for nymphing is 15 lb red Amnesia. It casts great with my Tenkara rod (11' Iwana), and Stevie Wonder could see it. It's a little too bright for my tastes most of the time. A level line takes a bit more effort to cast when using dry flies, but not much, compared to a mono furled leader. I like Yozuri fluorocarbon in the pink color (15lb test) for nymphing.

My usual dry fly leader is one WarrenP made for me. It turns over seemingly by itself, and tangles much less than any other furled leader I've tried (and I have a bunch!). I don't want to give out any of Warren's secrets without his permission, but that man has definitely mastered the art of furling leaders.

Here are some early Tenkara fishers:

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage Angler View Post
    My usual dry fly leader is one WarrenP made for me. It turns over seemingly by itself, and tangles much less than any other furled leader I've tried (and I have a bunch!). I don't want to give out any of Warren's secrets without his permission, but that man has definitely mastered the art of furling leaders.
    I agree that a good furled line does almost cast itself. You shouldn't have any problem casting one with your bare hands, having a 11 or 12 foot lever makes it pretty effortless. Fishing some other combinations and permutations does take a bit of concentration, but when fishing a dry fly on a relatively "short" furled line, I find the placing my fly almost becomes automatic. It's more looking where you want the fly to land, and it shows up. Sort of hard to explain.
    Last edited by pszy22; 08-31-2010 at 01:01 AM.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Wink The proof is in the pudding ....

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...Once one is introduced to and enjoys Tenkara, as you apparently do, does one go fishing with BOTH Tenkara and "traditional" or is it an either -or proposition? I'm inclined ( again I restate, having NEVER used Tenkara) to think it's ONE or the OTHER....
    .... or in this case, the Bitterroot River with a Sage Fli 9' for 7 wt and an FEB Hopper.

Could have fished a Tenkara rod at the spot I caught this bow, but I'm kind of glad I left it strapped to my pack and fished the Sage.

Rest assured, Mark, if you do get a Tenkara, you, too, will find times and places to get out your standard fly rods.

I need to add that it was really fun to be casting the 7 wt on big water even if most of the fish I caught today were within Tenkara range. Kind of a bull in a China shop feeling ....

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 11-19-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    The fish are always right.

I don't know how far you are from the Blackfoot, And this is off your topic, but I would really enjoy a trip on the Blackfoot threw your reports... Sorry to jump off topic.......
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Quote Originally Posted by billknepp View Post
    Just outta curiosity, Has anyone tried 20Lb Amneisia as a level line? With the Yamame, Since this is a mono type line with very little memory & makes an awesome running line behind shooting head (Conventional Rig) and being that it comes in two great colors, Chart & Red It just seems that for the heavier rod and heavier flies one might use with it... It could be a good way to go..? Any thoughts on this?
    I have never tried Amnesia, but I have tried various weights of mono, including 20# test. The 20# test works (as does 17#), but I much prefer fluorocarbon. Because if it's greater density it is easier to cast, particularly if you have to cast into a bit of a breeze. I completely agree with your desire for a hi-vis line, though, and am convinced you'll catch more fish using one.
    Tenkara Bum

Default Stillwater ...

... in the Rocky Mountains.

I actualy fished there this morning with the Ayu. And caught a fish, on a humpy.

Now that I got your attention, if you find those mountains and find this creek.

And find the right hole, like the one above, you can find some of these.

Or maybe a different hole.

And a bigger fish.

Might as well keep wading and looking.

And catching ( the biggest of the day at about 16" ).

And it has to end at some point.

Might as well be in the most productive spot on the creek. With several like this one.

This FEB Hopper got a bit worn - after 15 fish in hand, several long distance releases, and a number of refusals, all in about an hour and a half.

After such a grand time, I decided to end the day there. It was a bit of work, between ringing the bear bells, checking for the bear spray regularly, watching the area for bear sign and keeping a close look out bushwhacking between holes, and catching all those nice fishies.

The big surprise was catching a fish on that stillwater in the opening frame.

The really big surprise yesteray was getting into as many large fish on this little creek as I did . But I hit it under practically ideal conditions and the Ayu did its part in landing every fish that I hooked well. The rod was lined with my bright orange homebrew furled Danville 210 12' line tipped with about 4' of 5X.

Not so surprising was catching only a handful of smaller cutts today under much less favorable conditions. When I woke up this morning it was around 32F. When I stepped into the creek about 11:00 I knew the water was still much too cold to offer hope for any real action. I did manage one fishy on the hopper and picked up a couple smaller ones on a soft hackled pheasant tail nymph dropped off the hopper.

Now - go get a Tenkara and find that creek, or your local version of it - or not.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 11-19-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    The fish are always right.

John,

Beautiful water, stunning scenery and some very healthy cutts there. Glad no nasty bears were around to bother you. Again, thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread