+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Salmon Flies

Jeff

Look http://www.rivermagic.ca/

We actually have an official fly, Bill is a wonderful man and has mentored me somewha not so much on ying syles and techniques but material and selection.

New Zealand eh, 1 of two places lef on my bucket list...

How are he NZ browns treating you

Heading to your fly now

Cheers

No doubt in my mind Jeff will give it a whirl and let you know, all the required ingrediants for a smash from an alantic salmon are there

Normand Guest

heres my suggestions

consistency

1. tinsel - when tying the tinsel tag, if you are going to use 3 wraps of tinsel, then use that many for all of the flies. the same goes for the tinsel rib. if you use 4 wrap then it 4 wrap on all of your flies. leave no gaps between tinsel wrap and wrap the body tinsel in equal spaces.

2. wings - wings seem a little thin. add more hair to the wings. take a look at the hair wing flies in the w w doak catalog http://www.wwdoak.com/index.php?index=14

Norman

Thanks for the consistency tip.

As for the sparse wings I fish very small rivers in NS mostly with mid to low water levels, the fish seem not to be near as agressive with full wings. Method to the madness.....

Thanks for the feed back

stage 1
    the wings don't seem thin for low water flies. if your flies are to look like all other hair wings then follow normand's pedantic suggestion. i think you should continue in the same vane and make your flies to suit you.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

That is why Wes and again Norman I do appreciate the feedback... These are built to fish I only tie a couple of each pattern and replace as required.. This keeps me experimenting with differn patterns. Appreciated any hairwing pattern sites you could share, Hatches, Doaks, Eskape Angler, and North Shore Fishing Adentures, Spawn are my go too's

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stage 1 View Post
    Norman

Thanks for the consistency tip.

As for the sparse wings I fish very small rivers in NS mostly with mid to low water levels, the fish seem not to be near as agressive with full wings. Method to the madness.....

Thanks for the feed back
    nowhere in your previous posts on this thread did you indicate what type of river/ stream you fish. if the thin wing works for ya, then go for it

Stage like I said earlier the flies are pretty darn good as for a fuller wing thats up to you I try to have a couple of sizes of a fly with suble differences fuller wing maybe longer just a little change but for were we are fishing most prefer a sparce wing look at at just about any
    Newfoundland fly and their wings are usually a half dozen strands or so and tyed on mosty #8or smaller when I used to fish Framboise we use
    #10.12.14 trout hooks tyed sparce for all salmon fishing on that side of the Island but as far as tying like Normand suggests try to be consistant
    in your tags and ribs thats for appearence for us fisherman not the fish

Sorry for the confusion Normand and I do see your point for esthetics the fuller wing is best but as mentioned I tie to fish so hence he sparse wings... I am sure there will be a time when the boxes are full that the fuller wings will be in the requiremment.

Draggerman

When the fish want a bigger fly I pull out the marabous

i want to play so i raise a couple steelhead ties.

The Whore

The Blackout

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

+ Reply to Thread