+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: balsa flies

These were done very much like Bill described, I may have used an abrasive wheel in my rotary tool to cut the slot for the lip. The lip in the articulated minnow results in a wider wiggle. I did not drill holes in the lips but it would be a good idea, you could do it with a hot 4 penny nail if you don't want to buy a tip cleaner.

Jointed balsa minnow.jpgSmall balsa minnow.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Oh I see, those are very cool. I like them a whole lot! Thanks for the photos. I have a cheap rotary tool, and I used it today to make a fly stand. The drill part of it stinks. Took forever to drill 19 holes.

Drilling holes in anything heavier than foam or balsa is not the strong point of a rotary. I probably don't have to tell you how important it is to get the lip square with the axis of the body. Otherwise the fly will run right or left when retrieved or held against current.

Blog Entries

I hear ya. My drill battery won't hold a charge for some odd reason, so I had to try the rotary. It did the job, only needed small holes drilled. I will make a thread on the fly stands. Thanks for your advice.

I think I will try my minnow for some trout Sunday afternoon, I have a couple of guys from south of Atlanta coming up for a mile+ float down the Chattahoochee. There are a couple of pools that hold some little piggies, not really large enough to be call hawgs, but nice and fat.

The prop discussion got me going the other day so I put together something to tempt the bream and bass when it cools off a little. The remains of my daughter's foam wedges from several years back. The flash tends to wash out the white on white and without a flash it comes out fuzzy.

Top prop1.jpg

Blog Entries

I bet they to great for you, be sure to give us a report!

Another easy way to add a wiggle lip is with a large sequin. Simply cut a slit in the "chin" of the lure and glue it in place. You can trim the part you insert with scissors to make it fit better if necessary. You can buy a large bag of sequins at any hobby/craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Just a thought

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Another easy way to add a wiggle lip is with a large sequin. Simply cut a slit in the "chin" of the lure and glue it in place. You can trim the part you insert with scissors to make it fit better if necessary. You can buy a large bag of sequins at any hobby/craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Just a thoughtJim Smith
    What would be the results if you place a 3/8" sequin over the hook shank of a heavier than water fly? Would that not add wiggle without causing it to dive?

+ Reply to Thread