+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

I had a long learning curve when I started fishing So Cal beaches. My logs show that it was not unusual for me to make a half dozen or more outings with no fish. I love the beach and the surf so I stayed with it. Over time I became more consistently successful has I learned how to read the water and tides and learned how to handle the flyline in the surf and where to swim the fly. I have also had plenty of days where I have been into fish and a buddy with me is struggling and vice versa. I also fish light spinning gear in the surf with plastic grubs or live sand crabs. I don't cast any further than I do with fly gear but am often more successful. Last time I went surf fishing I was casting flies and my brother was fishing live sand crabs on light spinning tackle. We found a hole where he got bit on every cast yet I caught nothing. Its just like that some times.

Nice, thanks tailingloop. I guess patience is the name of the game here. I do enjoy casting to the waves, it's very challenging but rewarding when you catch fish.
    I believe I can fly fish

Martin,

I usually fish the Oxnard - Ventura area. I've been spin fishing though. Trying to learn how, where and when the fish are feeding before I try fly fishing the surf. Planning to try fly fishing the surf next year. Tailing loop is right the learning curve for surf fishing is totally different from trout fishing. I'm still trying to figure it out. It's been fun though.

Beaver

I started fishing red and camo sandworms on # 6 and 4 mosquito hooks and was very successful. I caught my first corbina on a sandcrab so I was expecting around the same level of catching on the fly. I did catch my fist fish on a fly tho. Yes, it is lots of fun. Maybe Saturday night I'll hit Zuma for some leopard shark fishing, I heard they go for squid.
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

Good luck. Stay away from those teeth!!!

+ Reply to Thread