+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre-formed loops on lines

All I ever do is take power pro and nail-knot a doubled-over peice of it so the end forms a loop. Its very strong, easy and its very small. Dont wet the knot though and MAKE SURE THAT IT IS TIGHT

Fly Goddess. What the heck is a Shimazaki? Sounds good, I might as well needle-knot the leader on since I don't change leaders that much. And I usually redo the needle-knot at least each season.

Anthony. Power pro? Do you use mono to nail-knot the loop?

It is a fool proof tool for needle knots. You could be blind and use one of these. It is [url=http://www.feather-craft.com:5eaf8]www.feather-craft.com[/url:5eaf8] and sells for $17.95 (worth every penny) Feed your leader through, scuff up the end of the leader, about 4-6" with sandpaper, Zap-a-gap it (remember not all super glues are water proof, Zap is) pull your leader through (slowly and the glue will stop it)Clip the tag close and dab some knot sense. It sounds craxy, but I have caught 32" cutt on this and it didn't break. If it does bother you to only glue, you can do a nail knot on top.
    Fly Goddess

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

[This message has been edited by Fly Goddess (edited 19 February 2006).]

Fly Goddess and Anthony.
    Thank you for the explanations. It is always good
    to learn some new tricks.

Another thing i an going to try is stripping the coating off of the fly line and tie a loop with the braided core.

What I do now, having just learned this trick last summer, I take a piece of 30 lb braided mono about 6 inches long. Push my bobbin threader into the middle about 2 inches from one end. Pull the end back into the middle of the braided mono until I get the loop of the desired size. I then feed the end of my fly line into the braided mono from the other end until it meets the bottom of the loop I pulled inside. I then tie a nail knot just below where the line meets the inside of the loop and another an inch lower. I then coat it with Zap a gap and I have a loop on the end of my vintage Pre Loop fly lines.

------------------
    Cary Morlan

Living my dreams one day at a time
    Cary Morlan
    AKA Linemender
    Cheapest Guide in the Columbia Basin
    (For good reason)

+ Reply to Thread