+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's YOUR favorite fly to tie?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

After much careful thought, and soul-searching, I have discovered......that I don't have a 'favorite'. I love tying all patterns. I even tried to come up with a 'least' favorite, and I couldn't do it. I love tying all patterns. I love fishing with all patterns.

I guess I am just a hopeless Fly Addict.......

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I'm with Gigmaster on this one. I like whatever fly I'm tying at any particular time as long as the tying is going smoothly and the flies are turning out well proportioned and professional looking or at least semi-professional looking or maybe just not too ugly. 8T

Thanks. You guys really inspire me. I'm very tired with folks who, while skilled tiers, will devote so much energy to tying any combinations of materials on a hook, slap some name on it and want to be claimed an inventor. This is childish.

Ray,

When the fly patterns you fish are from the 17 and 1800's, some even older, it's pretty hard to claim to be the inventor. Oh Wait! I'll substitute badger hackle for Greenwell hackle and call it an Eagle Elk Glory Spider. Yeah, that's the ticket.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

NO WAY.

I created the Eagle Elk Glory Spider FIRST.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

You lost me on this one, but if we've inspired you, that's good enough for me.

Is it your position that if someone comes up with a new pattern, they shouldn't get credit for it? Exactly how would that promote innovation?

I'm pretty sure that Russel Blessing (inventor of the Wooley Bugger), Capt. Joe Blado (Crease Fly), Bob Clouser (Clouser Minnow), Dave Dahlberg (Dahlberg Diver), Enrico Puglisi (Puglisi Flies), and many other innovators on this board, including myself, would tend to disagree with that position. What is childish about giving credit where credit is due?

I don't understand the objection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Thanks. You guys really inspire me. I'm very tired with folks who, while skilled tiers, will devote so much energy to tying any combinations of materials on a hook, slap some name on it and want to be claimed an inventor. This is childish.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 07-26-2010 at 10:29 PM.

If that were the case, then most dry flies would all have to be called Adams, because most dry flies are the same fly tied with different materials, or in some cases, just different colors. And the Adams itself is most likely a derivative of an older pattern. Does Leo Wulf not deserve any credit for the Wulf series of dry flies, because after all, all he did was substitute calf-tail for the hackle-tip wings.

In the 18th, and 19th centuries, they didn't have materials like synthetic fur, closed-cell foam, Gorilla Glue, etc.... If someone figures out a way to incorporate these new materials into existing patterns, shouldn't their efforts be acknowledged?

I really don't understand the objections to giving credit where it is due.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Ray,

When the fly patterns you fish are from the 17 and 1800's, some even older, it's pretty hard to claim to be the inventor. Oh Wait! I'll substitute badger hackle for Greenwell hackle and call it an Eagle Elk Glory Spider. Yeah, that's the ticket.

REE

Gig,

I always give credit where credit is due, just saying that the flies I fish are really old patterns, there is no way I can claim ownership. Simply changing a hackle doesn't really give you a new fly, it gives you a variant of the original pattern. If that's the case, call it a variant, but don't claim to have invented a whole new fly when all you've done is changed one material and the rest of the pattern remains intact.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Jigmaster Thanks for making my point. The tiers you list really did "invent" a new style, pattern or technique. What discourages me are the guys who just swap a feather color or use a minor material variation, as REE suggests, and claim they have reinvented the wheel. They may well be fine tuning a "recipe" to suit a local situation but they are not inventing a new "pattern".

Hi Ray,

I am with you, many changes are minor, and should as Ron mentioned above be called a "variant." That said, I think some flies that are given new names by the tier have such small changer that they don't even deserve the name "variant." If the pattern is truly innovative, then the guy who came up with it should certainly be able to give it a new name.

Regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread