+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hook file

I bought a couple of the Dr. Slicks from Sierra Tradding Post when they had them on closeout. I often ask the question to other fly fisherman: "What if I could increase your landed fish percentage by 20% for under $15 would you buy a fly fishing accessories?" They look at you like "OF COURSE I WOULD". Then when you tell them that the accessories is a file they just don't believe it. I made up the 20% of course but how many times have all of us had that 5 or 6 bites in a row that did not end up in hook up, much less landed fish? I won't fish without a file in my vest. Most of the time I tie on chemically sharpened hooks like TMC or Mustad Signatures these days but it is not the out of the hook or fresh out of the box sharpness that bothers me. I need something to touch up the hook while fishing rocky structures or bluntly after landing a few fish. Just a couple of strokes makes a huge difference.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id=758&subject=2108

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3670113.html

Blog Entries

Thanks, I didn't know Dr. Slick had a hook file. I don't keep one on my vest, and I should. EZE-LAP has an angler's hone that has a clip for your vest, but I haven't seen them for sale yet. I prefer a file I can use with the hook on the vise. Once I was sharpening a treble hook rather forcefully, and stuck that baby in my finger all the way ...the whole shank and part of the bend. I shudder at the thought of a repeat of that.

I use an EZE-LAP file and it's flat on one side and rounded with a groove on the other side. Been using these for years and like them just fine. It has a cap so when it closed up it does kind of look like a Pen.

Skip

I'm an old time bow hunter who use to sharpen broadheads, then moved to muskie fishing with gear and sharpened those big trebbles the same way I would with broadhead. One day, on a remove lake far far away from any hospital I stuck one of those big trebbles in the meat area of the base of my thumb all the way to the bend in the hook. Grabbed a pair of pliers and ripped that baby out - that was a wild ride that I don't plan on happening again. I look at handling big sharp hook like I do when I work with the chain saw - nice tool that gets the job done but you have to be very careful around.

http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto....aspx?ID=41955

Blog Entries

I believe you are talking about Model S...that is the one I contacted that company about. Hopefully they will return email so I can make payment.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that link. That is perfect for me when I am not at the house, and it is that Dr. Slick too. Alrighty, I am going to get one of them also. I found that link also has the Hook Hone, and the Model S...so I am going to order one of each...that should keep me with a sharp hook for some time to come. Thanks to all who replied.
    Last edited by kelkay; 07-24-2010 at 05:49 PM.

kelkay:

If you strike out ordering a Model S directly from EZE Lap look around, lots of places sell them. In many cases they are private labeled, (I have a few marked Orvis) but it's the same gizmo that looks like half a pen.

They used to, or still come with a short protrusion off the back end of the handle to attach it to a zinger or lanyard. Take the advice of an often clumsy fisherman. Attach it to something. They are easy to drop!

Blog Entries

Thanks for your advice. EZE-LAP still hasn't contacted me back. I ordered 3 different types of files from Bob Marriot's....and I will see which I prefer. Then I will put one with my vest, one in my to go fly tying box, and one on my tying desk. Yes, things drop out of your pockets easily, so attaching the file is a very good idea. They make a very small angler's file with a clip attachment, but I will order it later. I did not see one for sale there, but it can wait. With 3 files I will be in business for a while so to speak.

+ Reply to Thread