+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing On A Budget: Rod Suggestions?

Default Fly Fishing On A Budget: Rod Suggestions?

I'm rather new to fly fishing and don't have a lot of money to spend on a rod. I primaraly fish for sunfish and bass around 3lbs.. I can spend up to $150 for a rod. Any suggestions?

Cabela's, BPS and others all have entry level kits for around your price. That is rod, reel and line.

Do you need a complete outfit (rod,reel, and line) for $150 or do you have a loaded reel you plan on using. If so what reel and line size do you have? I would look for a six weight outfit if you are starting from scratch. I have never used one but a lot of people have said good things about Albright rods for the price. I have cast the Scientific Anglers starter sets which sold at the time for about $90 and I think you would be pleased with one. If you can't figure out what to do with the rest of the money you have my permission to send send it here. O.K. use it for flies and leaders.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

echo carbon

Blog Entries

neal,

You will get a lot of suggestions because there are a lot of good rods out there that fit into your price range.

There are three that I would suggest:

The Redington Red Fly 2 would be a good starter rod, guaranteed for life, the 8' 6" rod in a 5 weight would be good for the fish you are going for and it sells for $130.
    http://www.redington.com/prod.php?k=50169&p=RDT5-2201K001&u=Red.Fly2

Also, the Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) Signature Series, also guaranteed for life, would be a good choice. The 8' 6", in a 5 weight sells for $110.
    http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/signature.html

Another suggestion would be the Albright GPX rod in an 8 foot which is a 5/6 weight rod. This sells for $150.
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-rods/gpx-fly-rods-new.html

Have gun shopping, have even more fun fishing.

Larry ---sagefisher---

You have a Cabelas store in Ft. Worth, A Bass Pro in Grapevine and TFO is headquartered in the area. You can comparison shop yourself to death there. I have a TFO 3wt. that I absolutely love, it has been replaced once and the service was great. My wet fly rod is a BPS Dogwood Canyon which would probably leave you $90 in change, the problem with my casting is not the capabilities of the rod. The deals at Albrights alway look good to me and everyone speaks well of their rods. I saw a quote by Lefty Kreh to the effect if the rod cost over a $100 it was probably better than the guy using it.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I highly recommend the Cabela's "Three Forks" rod with the Prestige Plus reel. They're excellent rods for the price!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Albright A5, or a TFO Clouser rod.

These are all great suggestions, but I've bought and sold items on www.craigslist.org. Find your area and go to the sporting section and type "fly" or "fly fishing" in the search at the top and hopefully you will get some results. You can find some great deals on there. I found a Winston BIIx 6wt never used for 350 when it usually goes for 700. Heck, it's worth a shot instead of going to a big bargain shop you may be helping someone out who may need to ditch some gear for rent. (Had to do that once).

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread