+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Museum of Fly Fishing, anyone been there?

Default American Museum of Fly Fishing, anyone been there?

Planning to go the the AMFF in a few weeks, will be a stop in a longer vacation.

I am wondering how big it is and how much time i will need to devote to it. The plan is to be there when it opens at 10am, will I be able to see everything in 4 hours or so?
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

No, but it's on my "bucket list".
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

anyone else?
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

I wish some one could answer this because I will be in Livingston Mt around the middle of August and was wondering if it would be a worth while stop.

Quote Originally Posted by bowmaker1 View Post
    I wish some one could answer this because I will be in Livingston Mt around the middle of August and was wondering if it would be a worth while stop.
    Wouldn't that be a bit out of the way since the museum is in Manchester VT?

http://www.amff.com/
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

I have visited the museum when the 2001 FAOL Fish-In was hosted by Ron Kusse at the Delaware River Club. Back then it was a very nice place to visit, many interesting displays of original fly pattern by many of the now famous fly tiers that have now passed on to that fishing stream in heaven. Also many splitcane fly rods that were built in the Catskill area by many famous rod builders of yore!

You could spend the whole day there and not see everything, well worth the stop, to soak in some of the history of the giants on who shoulders that we all stand on!

Will you are in the area, you might want to do a driving tour through the area, and visit some of the famous streams in the area, and some of the pools that have been mentioned in many of the books of the area. There are quite a few preserved wood covered bridges in the area, that are worth the stop.

In Roscoe you might want to visit some of the famous fly shops, Roscoe is the center of the Catskill Style Dry Fly, where all of it came into being! ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 07-14-2010 at 02:21 PM.

It's been years since i've been there but I do remember it being doable in a few hours.
    If memory serves me , it's almost next door or just down the street from the main Orvis store/shop.
    The day I went to the museum I stopped at Orvis and got a really nice tour or the shop including the rod building area. Plus they had a "bargain basement"
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

We're talking two (actually 3) different places. The AMFF is in Manchester VT, the Catskill Museum which Parnelli and several of us visited during one of the Delaware Fish In's is in Livingston Manor NY. The FFF Museum was in Livingston Montana but has been 'donated' to the Fishing Collection at Montana State in Bozeman, MT and I don't know if the public can see it.
    Hugs,
    LF

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    We're talking two (actually 3) different places. The AMFF is in Manchester VT, the Catskill Museum which Parnelli and several of us visited during one of the Delaware Fish In's is in Livingston Manor NY. The FFF Museum was in Livingston Montana but has been 'donated' to the Fishing Collection at Montana State in Bozeman, MT and I don't know if the public can see it.
    Hugs,
    LF
    I was wondering what happened to the FFF museum. I tried looking for it this past May but couldn't locate it.

Crotalus
    I have visited the museum in Manchester. 4 hours is more than enough time. Displays are mostly tackle and flys. Classic memorabilia, bios of famous flyfishing noteables and a gift shop. Typical museum experinece. Facinating for me..not so much for the family. Bring your glasses as many of the displays require reading small print. Also make sure you stop by the Orvis headquaters store...Nothing really new there but a cool store. Manchester also offers several outlet stores and the world's best candy store Mother Myric's. All downtown within walking distance of Orvis. Used to have a ski house nearby in West Waedsboro VT. Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread