+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer Hair?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Bucktail won't work.

You need Deer-Body hair, and make sure it is winter deer-hair, especially from a buck, if possible. It is springier, slicker, flares bigger, and spins around the hook much easier. Spring and summer deer-body hair, especially from a doe, is only good for Comparaduns and small hair-wings. Another thing that will help you is to use Kevlar thread, so you can really put some pressure on the wraps and make the hair flare at close to 90 degrees. And don't forget to 'pack' the hair between spins, to make it thick and tight. The best hair-packer I've ever used is the barrel from a cheap, clear Bic pen. Use the small end.

Semper Fi.

I posted this in 11-21-2008 http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...-Hair&p=260319 It still holds true:

Learning to spin deer hair... Billy Munn's DVD is the BEST!!
    Buy "Tying Hairbugs with Billy Munn"

I've been attending and tying at FFF conclaves for 25 years. At every conclave that Billy Munn has also attended, I have always spent time either sitting next to, or across from, the "best deerhair tyer" in the country. If you don't believe me, just look at interviews by Chris Helm, Tim England, Jimmy Nix, or other top hair guys (and gals), and you'll see that that they all acknowledge their debt to Billy. You see, he's been tying and teaching hairwork for over 50 years!

I purchased "Tying Hairbugs with Billy Munn" DVD directly from Billy at the Southen Council Conclave in Mt. Home, AR.

It is a very well done, professional qualtiy production of Billy tying four hairbugs. As he goes through these bugs, he explains everything that he is doing. The photography and sound quality are top notch. The videographer/producer is an avid deerhair tyer.

It was the best $25.00 that I've ever spent in tying...

Everyone who has every watched Billy Munn work with hair will be thrilled with this DVD. And those of you who have never had the opportunity to watch Mr. Munn, but who wanted to learn to tie hair or "move up" to the next level with your tying are in for a real treat. You will not be disappointed.

I know that the DVD can be purchased from shops and mail order suppliers, but why not just contact Billy Munn at his home (262 Cuba Rd, Bridgeport, TX 76426), and get an autographed copy? I don't know what he charges for shipping, but I'm sure that its very reasonable.

You will not be disappointed.

Kyle M.

check your deer hair the straighter the hair the better it spins. I use a double edge razor blade to shape my deer hair bend it between your thumb and first finger

HNT,
    Bowfin had a good idea, even if your budget it tight. Check your library you might be surprised what you can find there. Besides you are already paying for the DVD, CD, video in the library.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Thumbs up for libraries

If you haven't already checked out your local library, it's a hidden treasure. My local library is part of an 80+ State wide (Ohio) library consortium. All the individual catalogs are combined into one online catalog for the state. If any one library has an item, it shows in the catalog. When I reserve something, they ship it to my local library (or any library I choose). If it's available, I usually get an item within a couple of days tops. This goes goes for CD's and DVD's as well.

Also, just about every library these days is part of an Inter-Library-Loan system. If they don't have something you're looking for, they will try to find it for you from anther library they share with. I tried to get a Geirach book one time that was not in the system. I asked if they could get it and about 2 weeks later they called and said it was in. They bought it from Amazon because no other library at the time had it. After I returned it, they just added it to their inventory and put it on the shelf. How cool is that??? I dont mind waiting if it's free! If nothing else it's a great "try before buy".

+ Reply to Thread