+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Campsite Question

Default Campsite Question

Ok, I have what may be a stupid question, but I have been told that the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. I have a new truck and cap and will be trying out truck camping for the first time this summer (in a few weeks actually). I have been looking for campsites and realized I don't know the proper protocol. If I am truck camping/sleeping in the back of my truck am I looking to get a tent site or do I have to get an RV site? I'm assuming a tent site, but want to make sure.

Also, for those of you that camp, can you recommend some good resources/websites that I can use to find suitable campgrounds/sites. Thanks.
    Last edited by Shane Cavitt; 07-10-2010 at 09:16 PM.

I don't think there is a protocol per se.

Each camp ground will have different rules, etc -- some only cater to RV wihile some to both. camping between RV's ain't so great if they are running generators, etc.

When I have camped, and there is a chance of getting an electical hook up, I will take it every time because I like to run a pump to blow up my pontoon boat, run an electric coffee pot, etc.-- of course it does cost a little more.

I think you are fine with just a tent site if it includes a parking spot for your truck. If it has a parking lot that holds lots of vehicles and no dedicated parking space next to your tent site, though, that might be a problem at some campgrounds. The potential advantage of a RV spot is electric and water hook ups if you have need for those in your truck. Otherwise, it is just an unnecessary expense. While you can buy campground directories, I just go to Google and search for (name of place) campgrounds and find all the details I need.

Normand Guest

unless youre one of these

a tent site is all youll need

I would recommend going to the state DNR site and try camping in state parks, state recreation areas, or state forests. The national park service is also a good resource. Both state and federal campgrounds have on-line reservation systems. It will depend on where you want to fish. A tent site usually implies a little rougher camping, probably no electricity, sewer, and water hookups. In a lot of campgrounds the primitive or tent sites only have vault toilets (out houses) and no shower facilities. They're usually cheaper too.

Shane, as a retired Mo. ate Park Ranger I can speak about Mo. only. B est bet is to go on-line and check out each state you plan to visit. Some states, Mo. included have a reservation system, these are good to use if you know exactly where you are going and how long you will stay. The Federal Parks also have a reservation system I think, and probably works the same way. Good luck with your new rig, have fun and enjoy. Should you get here to west central Missouri, email me we'll set us a meet, great bluegill fishing around here. Take care, John.

+ Reply to Thread