+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing skills

Default fishing skills

I wanted to start a thread to discuss fly fishing skills. The last couple of times out on the water I have went with relatively inexperienced fisherman. I'm not trying to brag, but when I am catching 20 trout in a day and my partner on the water can't catch a fish, it's frustrating for ME and them. I wish that I was better at telling them what to do, or transfer knowledge efficiently. I've failed miserably during these last two outings. Some might think, "you had a great day be happy", but the truth is that fishing can be a very social event and I want my fishing partner to have success too.

I know this, it's not the fly that makes you a successful fly fisherman. People want a simple answer. If they buy this fly, that rod, this new fly line - that they will catch fish - BOLONY! Casting ability is important. How to present the fly and put it where you want is important, but that is difficult to teach in a single session. The small spring creeks, where we are fishing, are technical in that there are a lot of obstructions. Both of these last two fishing partners had flies in the bushes, trees or some other hang ups more than in the water. If the fly isn't in the water you are not going to catch fish. Maybe I should have taken them to an easier to fish body of water.
    Detecting the bite was an area that I think they needed help with when I think back on these days. I probably should have put strike indicators on both of their lines even though I don't use them myself. I think that they were probably getting bit, but didn't recognize the difference between the bite or no bite.

Line management is another area.

I guess, that I am just trying to vent and look for ideas. I'm sure that most experienced fly fishers have had similar experiences. The bottom line is, when you are catching fish often and your fishing partner isn't, how do you help them experience sweet success? While I walked away from the day with many nice photos of some grand fish, I still felt like the day was a failure for me because I couldn't get my friends into fish.

It was weird, providing them with the right fly, letting them fish the hole first for 10 or 12 casts and have them move upstream some only to catch 3 or 4 fish out of the same hole with the same fly right after they left the hole and casting to the same areas. I'm starting to ramble now, thanks for letting me vent.

Rick

Well, you could try doing like guides do and not fish or at least not much, maybe just for demo purposes on certain casts, how to control line, detecting takes etc. while you're right there with them...that way you'll have a better day and they will too undoubtedly.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    Well, you could try doing like guides do and not fish or at least not much, maybe just for demo purposes on certain casts, how to control line, detecting takes etc. while you're right there with them...that way you'll have a better day and they will too undoubtedly.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    While not being a guide and I am definately there to fish and not just watch, I did let them fish most of the holes first. I think that you might have something in that I could just have them stand next to me for a few moments and watch me fish while I try my best to describe what I am doing and why and what I am paying attention to and why. Then we can swap and I can just watch them fish and maybe offer some better, right next to them coaching. I have two newer people going out with me this weekend. I'll try to work the camera more and the fly rod less. It could be fun shooting some video of them catching some fish. I will try to take them to a little wider stream that is more manicured than the narrow spring creeks with lots of brush too. I want to get these two on some fish. Will be making up some strike indicators too for them. Again, I'm not a guide, just want my friends to have fun too.

A spring creek, eh? That's a tough one.

If the fish were feeding on dries, I would teach them stealth and an approach from upstream using a parachute cast.

Since they are not going to be accurate with the cast, I would modify the method Gary uses by having them cast down and across the feeding lane, but well above the fish. Then have them lift the rod to straighten the line, and have them drag the fly across toward them until the fly is right in the feeding lane. Then have them slowly lower the rod tip at the speed of the current so that the fly floats drag free to the fish. Tell them to delay on the strike so they don't pull the fly out of the fish's mouth. That is a common newbie mistake when fishing from upstream. Tell them to wait until the fish tips down and then strike gently.

If the fish does not take, allow the fly to continue to drift toward them downstream and away from the fish. They may need to take the rod across their body to the other side to do this. Then pick up slowly as to not spook the fish and make any false casts well away from the fish so as to not spray water over the fish.

Otherwise, I would take them to the riffles where water turbulence hides imperfect drifts and forces the fish to make a quick decision. Riffles are the best place to teach a beginner IMHO.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 06-30-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Wonderful Advice and I am either getting old or Gary looks damn young in that video. Ha

Appreciate the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    A spring creek, eh? That's a tough one.

I the fish were feeding on dries, I would teach them stealth and an approach from upstream using a parachute cast.

Since they are not going to be accurate with the cast, I would modify the method Gary uses by having them cast down and across the feeding lane, but well above the fish. Then have the lift the rod to straighten the line, and have them drag the fly across toward them until the fly is right in the feeding lane. Then have them slowly lower the rod tip at the speed of the current so that the fly floats drag free to the fish. Tell them to delay on the strike so they don't pull the fly out of the fish's mouth. That is a common newbie mistake when fishing from upstream. Tell them to wait until the fish tips down and then strike gently.

If the fish does not take, allow the fly to continue to drift toward them downstream and away from the fish. They may need to take the rod across their body to the other side to do this. Then pick up slowly as to not spook the fish and make any false casts well away from the fish so as to not spray water over the fish.

Otherwise, I would take them to the riffles where water turbulence hides imperfect drifts and forces the fish to make a quick decision. Riffles are the best place to teach a beginner IMHO.

It was not too long ago, I was the guy not catching any fish when I went trout fishing. It took a couple of years of fumbling in the dark until I figured out what to do. I am still not the greatest trout fisherman in Georgia but I now catch enough to make it fun besides just sitting in 50 degree water when the air temp is 30 or more degree higher. I have a buddy, who has moved to Florida, who I was convinced was the only person who kept me from being the worse trout fisherman in Georgia. We float tubed down a section of the Hooch when it got hot and the bream in our favorite lake got uncooperative, without catching many if any trout. I had been giving it a little more thought and ask more questions than in the past, one weekend I told him throw your line downstream and follow it. When the strike indicator goes under you should have a fish. I tied him on a nymph I was told should be good, he caught the first trout I ever saw him catch within 50 ft. of the start of our float. The system will work but I have gotten a little better than that, but it took time on the water on my own to figure out what I needed to do differently. Unlike driving or flying you can learn fishing without killing yourself if you try.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I too want my fishing partners to have success. I think your post points out something important. Despite the threads that go on and on about casting not being important, it is. That and line management(in the hand, in the air, on the ground, on the water). I help with classes for middle-schoolers, college kids, and geezers like me. The toughest for newbies, hitting the water and line management, are hands down the biggest killer to an initial experience. This not pitching a gob of crawlers in the river. It requires some time off the water, before the water. To take folks out w/o time spent on the lawn is a recipe for disappointment.

Hi,

When I have people who have never fly fished before, I get them to fish wet flies down stream, where they just have to cast a short line across the stream, then let out line to get things where they want, then do the swing. This, I find, keeps the casting short (easier) and they are casting well away from the fish, so it doesn't matter if they sort of splat it down hard. Also, bites are easily felt, so even if they don't hook up they know when things are happening.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

I am the beginner that you hope to help pursue this new passion! From my perspective, things that make my day are 1) a certain knowledge that I am NOT spoiling your day, 2) your delight in teaching me something that I didn't know and your encouragement as I learn it ... thru the struggles. Had I had a father who fished and especially fly fished, that's what I would have loved the most. While you can't be a father (my own age would really limit the prospective teachers!), you can give your friends the type of support and camaraderie that they might have gotten as a "youth". Beginners, regardless of our age, are "young". Mind you, if I can catch one or two, I am likely to be hooked for life. So where you can, show me some places and techniques within my current skill set that will improve my chances. I will miss strikes, create wind knots, miss the "target" by yards and not feet at times ... but I am loving the learning!

I've had professional instructors and I have used guides. The most effective teacher I have had is a fishing buddy. He doesn't try to over teach but he does point out some things I could do better (I cast too hard and he has to slow me down). So, just take your friends fishing, fish some yourself and by "doing" they will soon be catching fish. We may never catch as many as our more experienced buddies who, by just being there, are an important part of the trip. Thanks to the better fishers who try to share their knowledge. It is appreciated even though we may be mad as h**l at the time.

+ Reply to Thread