+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Montana Moments

Default The Rocky Mountain Front ....

.... was subject of the feature article in the Outdoors section of The Missoulian today. Follow the link.

http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/rec...cc4c03286.html

Besides the Hawk Owl and the Bighorn, we saw numerous deer and antelope and birds and some raptors. At the beaver pond shown in the second pic, there was a very large muskrat putting on quite the show before he became aware of us and went into hiding.

No wolves, or bears, but the ranger that we talked to told us one of her fellow workers had seen both a black bear and a grizzly within the past week right on the road heading back to the Mount Wright trailhead. Later that day, I got into an interesting discussion about grizzlies with a woman working at the sporting goods store in Choteau. Got a lot of very personal and subjective comments from a person raised on a ranch in the area and whose brother, sister-in-law, and their four young children still live on the ranch and have to deal with grizzlies near their home on a regular basis.

Good to hear that you had some positive fishing experiences in the area, Jim. The reports about fishing those rivers are very inconsistent about what one can expect in the way of action and quality of fish. Guess I'll just have to go find out for myself.

John
    The fish are always right.

John, I fished Nilan Reservoir, like I said, from a float tube. I and another tuber were fishing dries during a pretty heavy caddis hatch around the dam. We both hooked up pretty regularly on small trouts. I believe I used EHC and an Adams parachute. The Dearborn where the road crossed it (Dearborn Canyon Road) was kind of slow. I went up and down the river bank on both sides while Debbie sat and wrote in her journal. I encountered a doe wading across the river at one point. We did see lots of dear and some antelope along the road on the drive out in the evening. You are fortunate to live so close to the Front. It's a 2 day drive for me to even get close.
    The only bear we saw in Montana was the one stuffed at the ranger station in Lincoln. I had read the story about it earlier in the year. It was a pretty good size griz.
    I saw more deer in the fields between Augusta and Sims when I went to fish the Sun, than I saw in Yellowstone NP.
    It's definitly pretty country. Thank you so much for all the stories and photos. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

John,

Combination of a pretty dry area (even for Montana) and what water is available going to irrigation is probably going to lead to some inconsistent fishing. Sure is pretty country. Did you get to see Egg Mountain while you were over by Choteau?

Regards,
    Scott

There was an accident on Rock Creek last night that took the life of a fisherman. See my post in the "Sound Off" category. Best Regards...
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

I haven't seen John around lately. Is he off making a bunch of moments to share later?

John, I miss reading your reports. Hope all is well! (oh, yeah, I sent the write-up into Niel).

+ Reply to Thread