+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's making Poppers?

Bass Bug:

What do you use to cut the round layered foam bodies? Also what sizes (diameters) do you use most?

Thanks.

Bob Widmaier

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Widmaier View Post
    Bass Bug:
    What do you use to cut the round layered foam bodies? Also what sizes (diameters) do you use most?
    Thanks.
    Bob Widmaier
    Here's the original thread.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...t-foam-poppers

The 3/8"dia, make nice simple plugs. Just attached to hook and dress with a tail and/or skirt.
    The 1/2" makes plugs big enough to turn down to desired shapes.
    The only thing with this softer foam is that cupping the face is not the easiest. Shaping this foam by turning is done more by heat/melting then by a sanding action. At least that's what I have noticed.

Since posting this original thread, I have been plying around with different sizes of copper pipe and fittings. 3/4 pipe and couplings up to 1". Couplings have an I.D. where pipe has an O.D. in the given size. Using variations of pipe with reducing fittings to be able to chuck in a drill gives many in-between sizes. No preference on any particular size yet.

Note: In my original post of making the layered bodies, I stated I used Pliobond. While this is indeed a viable glue for laminating foam sheets the subsequent conversation in my thread turned me on to using 3M 74 and spray adhesive. Spray adhesive is SO MUCH easier and quicker to use.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 06-17-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Spend rifle and pistol casings make good tubes for cutting popper bodies.
    Take a file or grinder and grind a window down the side stopping about 1/4" to 3/8" from the end. Makes removal a breeze. Sharpen them by using a file or sand paper on the open end.
    I chuck up to 30-06 into an old drill to cut the bodies.

Thanks Bass Bug. I was thinking of buying a set of laboratory cork borers from the job. The only thing the set contains some smaller sizes as well which would not be too useful. A set runs about $35.

Bob Widmaier

Bass_Bug Guest

As many pointed out, any sturdy metal tube will work. If you know a plumber, scraps of copper pipe and tubing can probably be had obtained for free. Old golf club shafts etc. Brass tubing at hobby shops and Ace type hardware stores is not too costly. Short pieces of copper pipe from the big box Home Centers.

One of my favorites it to browse thrift stores for usable items. Got a coffee grinder for mixing dubbing for $1.91. Heck you might even pick up a golf club for a couple bucks just to cut up the shaft?

I prefer chucking up whatever I'm using for a punch in a drill...actually a drill press...so the size of the chucking end becomes an issue ...anything over 1/2" requires some inginuity. and yes I know it can be done by hand but that has drawbacks.

My favorite cutter come from umbrella shafts, the telescopic automatic opening umbrellas will yeild a couple of sizes, I made a 1/2" with a 1/4" by turning down a wood core inserting a 1/4" bolt and gluing it in a piece of thin wall conduit. I pull the plugs out of the 1/2" by using a dry wall screw. Be sure to get you a ramrod for the cutters to push out blanks.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

I'm with Duck on preferring to chuck up the cutting shaft in a drill. A drill will yield much cleaner cutting. Also if the shaft is at least 4" long or so, you can get several plugs at a time. Remove from drill and poke out with a dowel slightly smaller than the ID of the cutting tube.

For those of you who use a drill or drill press, one good way to make a plug cutter is to drill the primer out of a spent rifle shell casing and slip in a 3/16 inch bolt so that the threaded end protrudes out the back of the shell. Then simply tighten down a nut against the back of the shell, I like to add a second nut to lock it in place. Now it fits into the drill chuck perfectly and it cuts foam and balsa wood like butter. I have an entire set of cutters from 22 caliber upto 50 caliber. I actually wrote an article on this that was published in Warmwater Flyfishing Magazine titled "High Caliber Poppers."

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread