+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem with materials spinning on hook shank

Learning thread tension can be dificult in the beginning. Hang with it, and it will come to you. Be sure to wrap a thread base the full length of the shank. Also, treat every step as an anchor point. if the previous step is not secure, don't move on to the next.....it will just get worse:^). Be sparse with your matierals as well....it's easy to pply too much.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

NJTroutbum:

With all due respect, I totally disagree with the need to lay a thread base the length of the hook. It may help; but, it is not necessary. If proper thread tension is applied, things will stay where placed on a bare hook. Most of those who spin deerhair do so on a bare hook. I can spin a bunch of hair on a bare hook and drop the bobbin afterward and it will stay right there! All I need to do then is to take another couple of wraps over the spinning wrap to lock all in place. (In spite of what some also claim, deerhair CAN be spun over a thread base: if I can do it, so can others.)

Cheers,
    Aged Sage

The one point that I want to address a little more is the use of glues or adhesives. Yes, they can help with a fly, but they were mentioned a couple of times in this thread. If the material spins before you add adhesive, the glue won't help you. Don't rely on the adhesive too much as a crutch or a problem solver. What an adhesive can do is add a little durability to an already well tied fly. I know many people that don't use head cement and the fly last through many, many fish caught. I don't have anything against head cements and CA type (super glues) but if you have a fly that isn't durable to begin with, glue isn't the answer but rather a technique is missing.

One other thing I wanted to address is that I want to congratulate you on having the bravery to ask the question in the first place. Some people just struggle for a long time and never find out the answer because they are too embarrassed to ask. Knowing that you are willing to seek out knowledge tells me that this issue will soon be resolved and you will move in your fly tying learning curve faster than many others who are not willing to ask.

Rick

Blog Entries

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful advice! There are definitely gems in there that will effect how I tie my next fly.

Oddly enough, I have the spinning problem more frequently when I put down a thread base than when I don't. Maybe it is because my initial loops of thread are too loose, and then no matter how many I put over the top of it then entire "tube" of thread base will spin around the shank. Does that sound plausible? I had no problem with spinning on my bass bug, and I used monofilament then...

Karli-Rae

P.S. There are great people on these forums! Thanks so much for sharing what you've learned.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

You got it! Not enough tension, resulting in loose loops which 'fall apart'.

When spinning deer hair, etc., take two complete moderately tight wraps around the hair/hook, each directly on top of the last, and go over for the third wrap, but, don't come under the hook. Simply release your bobbin on the back side and let it hang free, leaving the clump of hair on top of the hook. If the thread tension is correct, everything will stay in place! To spin the hair, simply reach under the hook with your tying hand and pull the thread directly towards your chest while resting your 'off-hand' in your lap. If done correctly, the hair will spin perfectly! Works every time.

Aged Sage

AlbaSurf

I am also a beginner and had the same problem. Learned about thread tension quick
    and haven't had problems with since. Also putting on materials using the pinch method

On and on --like i said in the beginning learn the "pinch method" of adding material. My inner city kids class can do it bill

+ Reply to Thread