+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to price this rod?

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    How can you tell if that rod is a superfine?

Brian
    can't be certain without photos but best guesses are based on:
    Orvis
    1 wt
    plain blank, minimal inscription

These four items really narrow it. There are few 1 wt rods that were made that fit this. Be neat to see some photos tho.

OH man that is it dead on. I was hoping that it was a cheapy that I could buy just to chase the gills with and have some fun but not at 150-200

Thanks so much for the input. I will tell the young man and ask him to post some pics to confirm

You can buy it. But you have no clue what you would do with it? Sell it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by briney dave View Post
    OH man that is it dead on. I was hoping that it was a cheapy that I could buy just to chase the gills with and have some fun but not at 150-200

Thanks so much for the input. I will tell the young man and ask him to post some pics to confirm
    Old Orvis catalogs would be the best way to identify the rod. Guess you'd be looking at a late 1980's - early 1990's rod that came out after the 1 ounce rods.

IMG_0452.jpgIMG_0454.jpgIMG_0457.jpgIMG_0453.jpgIMG_0458.jpgThanks again for all the help. I am really happy for the kid that he got such a nice rod. I will be sure to get him to this site once he knows if he wants to sell it or much better to learn to use it and have a sport for a lifetime.
    Last edited by briney dave; 05-02-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: add pics

Perfect rod for gills!

Default Orvis Superfine 1 weight

Thanks again for all the help. I am really happy for the kid that he got such a nice rod. I will be sure to get him to this site once he knows if he wants to sell it or much better to learn to use it and have a sport for a lifetime.
    Rembered the Orvis News used to have the catch club with pictures of what was caught on specific rods & think there was a 1 weight pin for the accomplishment. Will have to get out the old papers, just as getting out some old Orvis catalogs for this info. A spring 1993 issue had a Superfine: The One Weight advertised as the world's first one weight graphite fly rod, the most delicate fly rod ever made. 7 1/2' 2/1 when 6X tippets are the rule. 1 3/8oz with cork & ring reel seat & superfine grip. Premium outfit with a CFO I, DT1F line, 100 yards 12 lb backing & front loop was $500. Rod only $295 & Blank only $125.

holy crud is that cool. I hope the young man wants to keep this or sells it to buy a 4 wt starter kit and goes into fly fishing,

with no streams close by not many people ever pick up a fly rod around here. It would be cool to have another around to go chase gills with

Is the 1 wt the same as the pld "one -ounce" they had a few years ago ?

Thanks.
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Quote Originally Posted by sgallas2 View Post
    Is the 1 wt the same as the pld "one -ounce" they had a few years ago ?

Thanks.
    Steve
    No. The One Ounce was advertised on the same page as a #2 weight rod. 6 1/2' - 2/1 . The world's lightest fly rod for size 12 to 24 dry flies & nymphs to be cast 15 to 50 feet. At one time Orvis advertised it as weighing the same as 4 quarters. Outfit & rod were the same prices as the #1 weight, but the blank was $5 more than the #1 weight.

+ Reply to Thread