+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twinkies....

Default Twinkies....

In from ScamBusters:

Twinkies: What Is Their Shelf Life?

If you're a baby boomer (and even if you're not), you've perhaps wondered about the 'real' shelf life of Twinkies.

We've heard lots of rumors about Twinkies including:

- They have a shelf life of 50 to 100 years.

- Their shelf life is 'longer than the cellophane they're wrapped in'!

- They contain chemicals used in embalming fluid.

- Hostess hasn't produced any new Twinkies in two decades -- the ones in the stores now have been sitting in the warehouses for years.

Perhaps our favorite rumor is that Twinkies have an incredibly long half-life, and could survive nuclear fallout. <g>

Are any of these rumors about Twinkies true -- or are they all urban legends?

Answer: These rumors are false. Twinkies have a shelf life of about 25 days -- not 50 to 100 years!

Nonetheless, that is quite long for a baked product. The reason is that Twinkies contain no dairy products.

According to the official Twinkies website, Hostess produces up to 1000 Twinkies each minute. Twinkies are baked in 17 different bakeries. More than 500 million Twinkies are consumed in the US each year. Yikes!

The weirdest thing, though, given that these rumors aren't true, is that we heard that the White House millennium time capsule includes a Twinkie, since it is "an object of enduring American symbolism." This time capsule was sealed in 1999 and won't be opened for 100 years...

Ladyfisher,

If you are from CA, and even if you're not, let's not forget the assassination of SF Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978 by Supervisor Dan White. He was convicted of manslaughter instead of murder based on what the media labeled at the time as the "Twinkie defense". However, the defense was based on White's change in health habits and his intake of sugar and not about Twinkie's at all. Alas, another false statement about twinkies.

Dan White was sentenced to seven years, released in five and in 1985 committed suicide in San Francisco. Hmmmmm, maybe Twinkies had something to do with that?

Jerry

Back away from the Twinkies and no one gets hurt. I haven't had a Twinkie in years but have fond memories, I'm not sure if it's the preservatives or the calories that have helped me keep the wrinkles out of my face. Fat people don't wrinkles.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Some Twinkies and an orange Nehi soda. Man, oh man !! If you have been there, then you know what Heaven is like.

George

"Twinkies" et al were a BIG part of my early years. Thankfully they et al became a "smaller" part of same in later years. Although they and other such stuffs kept me frrom breaking the four minute mile , I did LOVE them. Thanks for bringing back the memory/taste LF.

Mark

Old #art with me it was a Twinkie and a Strawberry Crush. Another favorite was iced animal cookies and a cold beer.

Rocky

Oh Man Guys!! Moon Pies and RC Cola!!

When I was a kid, my mother worked as the receptionist for KREM TV in Spokane. Every day at the end of her shift, she was given the left over Twinkies and Cupcakes from the Captain Cy Show (an afterschool kids cartoon show featuring Popeye). My brother and I grew up eating both Twinkies & Cupcakes. Mom would keep them in the freezer and we would eat them frozen. They were good that way too. We were allowed to be on the Captain Cy Show once and I came in all time 2nd place in the "Ear Wiggling" contest. My brother came in 1st because he could wiggle his ears up and down as well as side to side. What fun. What great memories.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Give me a deep fried Twinkie!!
    um, um good.

Doug

Cool It was all the kids fault all I did was follow their cooking directions, Honest

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/a...8&d=1270699330

INGREDIENTS:
    6 Twinkies
    Popsicle sticks
    4 cups vegetable oil
    Flour for dusting
    1 Cup milk
    2 Tablespoons vinegar
    1 Tablespoon oil
    1 Cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Icing sugar to taste

PREPARATION:
    1. Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.
    2. Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep-fryer to about 375 degrees Farenheit.
    3. Mix together milk, vinegar and oil.
    4. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt.
    5. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats.
    6. Push sticks into Twinkies lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake.
    7. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.
    8. Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes, and dust with icing sugar if desired before serving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 04-08-2010 at 04:08 AM. Reason: No responsible for any plumbing problems this snack may cause you!

+ Reply to Thread