+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The unibobber

No disrespect but but i gave up watching bobbers of anykind when I switched to fly fishing over spin fishing,but they do look cool, maybe the bobber and bare hook as a egg pattern also thank you Tim on the tip about the pictures I clicked on the post # and the page refreshed showing full pic

No problem viewing from my end

I like the fly idea a very nice way to set the fly at the right depth and also makes for nice strike indicator
    at the same time.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I like the idea. Why add just an indicator when you can add a dry fly with indicator built in. Even a well tied stimulator will sink eventually, but with a thingamabobber on top it will stay up and stay visible. What really needs to be made to make this idea shine is a hook with an oversized eye so it can be moved up and down the leader just like a normal indicator. It won't float naturally, or look as nice as a normal dry/dropper rig, but it will be adjustable for times when the top fly is mainly an indicator, but you want a hook on it just in case an odd fish decides to hit something on top.

John--

I had the same thoughts about using them on dries as you did, but on flies that sit low in the water like hoppers and stones just the vivibility and durability might be worth the trouble. I started playing with the nymph patterns because of all those times I've wished I could get a nymph to run not in the film, but just under it.

joe cool--
    now there's an idea! hmm, back to the vise I go...
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Default Bluegill222 ....

.... just out of curiosity, how and at what point in the tying sequence do you tie in the unibobber ?? For the different style flies you've shown ??

John

P. S. Don't know if and / or when it will hit the FOTW, but I think kglissmeyer is going to submit his parasol emerger. I've seen a couple variations on that fly ( and herefishy sent me one of her renditiions to try out on DePuys Creek ), and it is similar to the nymph you show hanging below the unibobber. But in the parasol version, the floatation device is a fluff of poly yarn. Same idea, different materials.
    The fish are always right.

John--
    So far, the unibobber has been the first thing I tie in. The back of the package shows how to tie it in (basically figure eight wraps). I usually do it that way with parachute posts as well. Kind of helps me judge proportions on the rest of the fly.

I've done the poly parasols, too. What I was hoping for was a parasol I didn't have to dress with floatant to keep up. Also, the bobber should let me work with bigger bugs. The tale will be told when I get it out and cast it.
    Last edited by Bluegill222; 03-26-2010 at 11:20 PM.

For me it's about money.
    Unibobbers are 50 cents each.
    For the cost of two unibobbers you can cut hundreds of foam equivalents from a 3mm sheet. Think about the foam tag on the top of a Chernobyl ant.

You've definitely got a point there, CoachBob, but for me it's also about seeing how far I can take a new material and finding out what it will do once it gets there that something else might not do as well. Brings out the magpie in me I guess.

Lots of great comments. I knew I could count on you all!

What are the guys that come up with these gadgets smoking now days?

I like the idea ....where is the most inexpensive place to purchase?
    Thanks
    Last edited by jeffro; 03-27-2010 at 06:29 AM.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

+ Reply to Thread