+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Not FF

Default Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Not FF

Spring Break 2010!
    It was a good trip with my family. Also got to fish for about 1/2 of one day. I took a fly rod and stuff to fish with, but there wasn't much action anywhere, so I never used it. I used the gear on board, which was salfront butter baitcasting gear. We trolled for probably 15 miles each way between the marina and the fishing "spot"...and didn't catch a thing.
    Still it was nice to enjoy the scenery, and I even saw a few whales.

Once we got to the "spot", we baited up with 11" live bait...some sort of young jack or sardine-looking thing. Then we just very slowly trolled along the outside edge of a long sandy beach.
    First take, I get a few tugs, and look at the boat captain. My line has gone slack. I think it might be running toward the boat. He tells me to reel in, which makes good sense to me. The line has been cut. Ok...there was an 11" bait, plus about 24" of titanium leader. The line was cut ABOVE that! "Spanish Mackerel," says the knowing captain.
    OK. He re-rigs my line, adds fresh bait and we are back in business. Not much going on...I start watching the sea birds.

Lots of Frigates, Seagulls, Pelicans....and...OH LOOK! An OSPREY!
    The way he's flying around, its almost likes he can see my bait, isn't that cute? Hey, he's dropping down to the water. and...HEY, that's about where my bait is. and...HEY, HE'S GOT MY BAIT AND IS FLYING OFF WITH IT!!
    LISTEN TO THAT DRAG SCREAM!! Well, I figured I'd better reel the thing in, cuz he's making a beeline for shore. I try to put the brakes on the reel. Amazing how strong this "fish eagle" is in flight! Anyway, I put enough pressure on it that the hook pulled out of the bait, and no harm done to the osprey. I couldn't even tell that the bird dipped down or even noticed any strange pressure on that fish. STRONG BIRD!!
    OK...once the captain stopped laughing at me, he kindly rebaited my hook. Soon, there was some action near my bait, and I could see the Roosterfish's dorsal fin slashing through the surface of the waves as it chased down my hooked baitfish. I did as I'd been instructed...."Count to 3, close the bail, and set the hook!". FISH ON! Gee whiz, it didn't look that big in the water, but this is a STRONG FISH!! I landed it. Hooray! Roosterfish are COOL FISH!

The capt gets me set up with fresh bait and we continue our slow troll. The next fish hits, and I repeat the hooksetting procedure. FISH ON AGAIN! Holy buckets, this one is BIGGER! I can't budge this thing! It seems like forever before I can even TURN THE REEL HANDLE. My rod arm is getting very tired! But, I win again, and this fish is big enough that the capt uses the gaff to land it. He tells me it is a yellowtail. I think he is wrong. I checked it out later, and believe it is a Pacific Jack Crevalle. We estimate the weight at around 15 lbs.

That was pretty much it for the fishing. On the way back into the marina, a friendly (aka HUNGRY) pelican landed on our motor and eyeballed the fish in our livewell.

Overall the trip was excellent. Once I got back home to Iowa and unpacked my suitcase, I discovered my fly rod, 2 fly reels, and 2 boxes jam-packed with flies were stolen from my checked-in luggage. Since they seemed to know exactly where to look...even left my fanny pack, but took the valuable contents from it...I figure it was probably a TSA employee who had probably seen my precious cargo on the x-ray monitors. I figure the value of my loss to be around $860. Thieves. Bummer.
    They also rifled through my remaining cigars, but didn't keep many, if any, since they weren't Cubans.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Great report FishnDave. You look like one happy camper holding the 15 pounder. Bummer about the stolen gear though. Any recourse from anyone besides your insurance?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

The 15-pounder was FUN! But I have to admit I REALLY wanted to catch a Roosterfish, and wouldn't have been very happy if I hadn't. Size didn't matter to me. That is the best place in the world to catch Roosterfish, and who knows when/if I'll ever get back down there.

I would have preferred to catch one fly-fishing, but there were very few fish being caught around us, no visible activity, so I just let the Capt do the bait-fishing thing. No regrets. 2 more entries on the "life-list of species".

I printed off some paperwork I can fill out and submit to the airline. My wife travels all the time, and tells me I probably won't get ANYTHING from them.
    I suppose I could submit an insurance claim, but fear a rate hike, so probably won't. Most likely, I'll just have to bite the bullet on this.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 03-24-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Glad you got the Roosterfish too then. Yep, fly would have been more fun but a long time ago when i got a 35 lb. Chinook out in the Santa Barbara channel, i could have cared less what i was using.

Funny you should mention 'fear of rate hikes'. I always ask my ins. co. before i submit a claim if it will generate a rate hike. Not sure why, but when i ask them that they always say no. Not that i have a lot of claims, but the last three turned out that way.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 03-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.

You mean they DID raise your rate after making claims?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Sorry for any confusion or if i misworded something FishnDave, no, my ins. co. din't raise my rates after making claims.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Dave,

Great pics; Baja has become my new dream trip. Fishing from the pangas for dolphin, roosters, black skipjacs, yft, sails, marlin, jacks (I love jacks!), snapper..... wow. I've seen some vids of surf fishing for roosters (involving a lot of running up and down the beaches) that really looks wild; maybe some day. Sorry to hear about your gear being stolen; that stinks.

Regards,
    Scott

MM, no problem...just wanted to make sure the insurance companies didn't raise your rate even after stating they wouldn't. I don't even know if my insurance even covers loss while traveling.

Scott, yeah, I've seen some of the those videos too. Doesn't that look like a blast?? That's actually what I had hoped to do when I got down there...fly-fish from the beaches for Roosters. I contacted a couple guides, they were...a bit pricey, given we'd be fishing from shore. Plus, the cheaper one was like 1.5 hour drive from where I was staying, and I didn't really want to add the expense of a rental car on top of that, so I gave up that idea. Probably would have been a different story if I'd gone there specifically to fish, but since it was a Spring Break family vacation, this worked out well enough for all of us.

The only other fish I saw caught from boats in the area was a few Sierra. Normally the bigger boats head out and find Striped Marlin readily, but they weren't finding any...or at least no concetrations of fish...anywhere last week, from what I was able to hear.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Question Start of a continuing thread ....

.... or are you going wait until you start fishing closer to home ??

Sounds like you had a great trip. Bummer about the gear, but that loss will fade while the memories of the rest of the trip and the fishies grow.

John
    The fish are always right.

John, I'll start a continuing thread about Central Iowa when I start fishing (well...CATCHING) near home.

I've mentally already written off the loss of the rod and reels. There was probably close to 50 saltwater flies in one of the boxes, and several hundred warmwater/freshwater flies in the other box that got stolen. That still bothers me a bit. The saltwater flies I had bought off a fellow FAOL'er. The other flies were mostly my own ties. I know I can always tie more...but there was a very considerable investment of my time in creating all those. (I'm not the fastest tyer.)
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread