+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caddis fishing....

Quote Originally Posted by Quill gordon View Post
    It's nice to see we have a good following of caddis fishermen!
    Thanks for all the good input. I have a follow-up question though.
    What type of dubbing can I use to imitate the 'larva case' or the 'pupa body' . Is 'swiss straw' used as a dubbing or rope, or is that only for wing material?
    I saw this video by Davie McPhail tying a caddis pupa, where he dubbed the body( straw-like material), but he didn't say what it was! Anyone know what material he used in this video? Is it 'seal's fur' ? I see that mentioned in the comments below, but that didn't look like fur to me !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfm_nrpEL5U
    Thanks....
    John,

FWIW, and this is only because I've really been immersed in furled body flies lately, specifically the flies of Ken Hanley...

Ken's "Rockworm Larva" (caddis) uses a furled body of dark olive and olive antron. Tied up with a bead, some copper or gold ribbing, a peacock herl thorax, and some widgeon legs (I use partridge), and you've got a killer fly. I haven't seen Davie's caddis pupa video yet, but will make a note to do so.

Gotta love those caddis

John

I just picked up the Spring, 2010 issue of Fly Tyer and on Page 20, there are some really simple and realistic pupa patterns. Check it out...
    For a real challenge, try ice fishing with dry flies.

Soft hackles!
    As caddis emerger imitation.
    R

I love fishing the caddis dries just because it's so cool to watch the fish crash into them (there are no subtle rises during a caddis hatch), but in a fit of honesty would have to admit the emergers are more effective. I fish a lot of soft hackles in those situations and tend to dub the bodies with antron. It has just enough sparkle to simulate the air bubble that forms under the shuck as the pupa heads to the surface.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I am most successful with various adult patterns. My favorite is Olive CDC Elk Hair Caddis. My second fave are plain Elk Hair version and the Goddard Caddis. Mostly in #16, followed by #14. They catch fish.

+ Reply to Thread