+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are waterproof fly boxes...

Normand Guest

Default are waterproof fly boxes...

...really waterproof? (sounds like that geico commercial "is ed "too yall" jones really too tall" )

Can't speak for some of the newer "high-end" boxes personally. But the plano waterproof compartment boxes and the Orvis compartment boxes with the gaskets are only waterproof to rain. Have yet to find one that is waterproof if submerged when wading. I know my buddy complained about the smaller C&F box he uses for his midges with the compartments and magnets? This winter on the Breeches it filled up while wading....and it's supposed to be waterproof. He wasn't happy:^)

I took an unintentional swim in the Clark's Fork and my Scientific Anglers System X box stayed dry.

Regards,
    Scott

Normand Guest

nj

i carry alot of the small c&f boxes and i dont think they are advertised as waterproof. i could be wrong

from the c&f website

http://candfdesign.com/category/127515/Waterproof_Boxes

i dont believe these are waterproof

http://candfdesign.com/products/61890
    Last edited by Normand; 03-10-2010 at 12:54 PM.

I have unintentionally submerged a few of my C & F boxes and the contents were dry when I checked them at the end of the day. These are the ones with the gasket. I don't know how long of an immersion they will withstand, but I know that from off and on deep wading and getting my hip pack dunked, they've stayed dry as advertised.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

I have C&F WATERPROOF boxes and they are!
    Note, not all C&F boxes are adverticed to be waterproof.

Thorarinn.

Norman, Not sure which one he has...but I know some of them are waterproof, & he wasn't happy:^)

Apparently so, as my friends who watched my midge box float on by at Henry's Fork can attest. They were on one of the cliffs there, and saw a small green fly box float by. It had come off the zinger on my laniard, about a quarter of a mile upstream. It's probably still floating, on its way to the ocean.
    Eric

Floating and waterproof are definitely two different things. My C&F boxes float nicely, but I don't own the waterproof ones and am prone to wading a bit too deep in my favorite spring creek which requires me to dry out my chest pack and all of the fly boxes residing therein. You'd think I'd learn. A couple of years ago I purchased a 'Mayfly Pouch' and have found it rides high enough to keep me out of trouble. I no longer tether any of my fly boxes outside of my vest/pack for the very reason Eric's box made the scenic trip down the HFork. I haven't been smart enough to purchase the waterproof versions, but I like my C&F boxes so much I'm sure I'll probably keep putting up with a little water.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

The SA System Max series boxes use a gasket and vacuum sealing to make the box waterproof. If you simply close the box it is not waterproof. You need to push on the center of each side of the box to make a airtight vacuum seal with the gasket. If you do this, the box is waterproof. I have dunked a box not doing this and some moisture does come in. If you make a vacuum it is very water tight (even airtight). Overall, I have been very happy with these boxes.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread