+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My newly found competitive advantage

Default My newly found competitive advantage

Posted a couple of days ago asking recommendations on a small pair of binocs (or a monoc) to carry in vest. Thirty five views to date and not one recommendation. I conclude no one besides me needs extra help on the stream. Ha! I shall obtain said ocular enhancement and have the advantage--that is if my guide dog gets me to the stream and doesn't stop to chase ground squirrels as is her habit.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I was one looked at your post but already having and carrying a small pair of binoculars, I didn't want to give up my formerly singular advantage. Now seeing you are going ahead without the benefit of sage advice, I will say that my choice of optics astream is a simple $10 pair of binoculars which if damaged would not preclude purchase of another similar pair. It is sufficient for its intended purpose. My $300 Audubon glass is reserved for scouting and birding. I wish you well in your search.
    mcsteff

You flyfishers are a sly bunch! Still not willing to reveal a brand, eh?
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I have a monocular that I carry in my saltwater vest.
    It was a gift from someone who had 2 and as far as I know, it's not a name brand
    The hardware is getting rusty and when it fogs up, I'll leave it in the sun for a while... no big thing.
    It comes in handy for scanning for surface action and bird activity, but if it were any larger or heavier, I wouldn't bother
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I'm sorry, HCR, for not responding sooner. I just didn't want the general pool of readers here to know that HRH does not have the eyes of eagles any longer. It's a hard thing to swallow. I do use an Audubon monocular while on the stream. It's bright yellow, I suppose that's for when I drop it, I can find it again!!, and I have a very good pair of Bushnells for the "sit on the bench observe the birds" gazing. (Or to see what the guy just up stream is using for a fly, but wouldn't tell me when asked!!). Neither are large nor heavy, so they're always at hand.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

HCR,

I also read but didn't respond.

I bought two cheap pairs of those litttle binocs from WalMart several years ago. One lives in my vest, the other in my boat. But these were cheap, like $7/pair. I don't even remember what brand they are.

I use them for looking at stuff...birds, other fishermen, wildlife,people doing stuff, weather...whatever attracts my attention from my fishing. They don't get used much, but so far have worked just fine.

A tool like this is not something critical as far as I can see. It's nice to have, but not something I'd envy if a fellow spent a couple of hundred bucks on a pair, or that I'd debate over the benefits of one type or another. It's not a big deal, not even a small deal.

Buy something you like and use it as you want.

Buddy

Brunton. They make several sizes and types. I can't always get the high dollar ones to focus for me but my Bruntons are gentle on my eyes.
    Have a small 10x by 28mm pair for general use and an 8x by 42mm pair for the all day stuff, hunting, birdwatching, etc. The important thing is to try them out, for at least 5 min. at the store. Everything I have read concerning optics, and talking to many oldtimers, says to make sure the optics do Not give you a headache when you use them. This should be your main "focus", them price. Go look at a reputable sporting store and you might be surprised at the vast selection available. Also surprised at the reasonable price of some really nice binocs and monocs.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 03-09-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well, HCR, I didn't see your post.... I have two, a pair of Bushnell 8X25 which I like quite a lot, got them at a yard sale for $17 , they were new. pretty good optics, rubber eye cups, but... a little big to carry on the stream all the time. these were the second pair I bought, & I just grabbed them on account of the price & they were new in box....

The first pair I bought are Pentax 8X25.... somewhat smaller, and a little more high end, but still workin man priced at $110
    I prefer them, they are very good, and the smaller, and lighter goes a long way shen I carry them around my neck. I'd say they are first rate, considering the price. I also used a $700 pair of Swarovskys that belong to a friend for a weekend off whale watching, also 8X25.
    In all honesty, I like the view through the Pentax better, wouldn't go with the Swarovskys even if I had the bucks to spend.......

....................there's my $.02 .................ModocDan

It's easy to find a pair of binocs that is really too bulky or heavy to carry in a vest. I had the good fortune to receive a very lightweight monocular as a gift from my wife and kids for Christmas one year, and it's been the perfect addition to my vest. It is a Zeiss Miniquick 5X10. It is a 5x that weighs 23 grams and fits in my pocket with a nice pocket clip.

Default suggest rangfinder

Bushnell laser rangefinder monocular designed for golf. "32 feet to the nose" fire.

+ Reply to Thread