+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guide holding...something new???

Default Guide holding...something new???

NO pro here but now on my 4th build and "discovered" that placing/holding guides in place with a dab of fleximent works like a charm.

I never could get the hang of tiny elastic bands of tiny strips of tape and was turned off by using Super Glue as suggested in several tutorials.

Just tried some Fleximent and it sets up quick and stays flexible so you can adjust the guide while wrapping.

A tiny, little, thick glob and a few seconds of hold time seems to be the tickete....also, it rubs right off the blank with a finger tip if you decide to relocate the guide.

Disclaimer...I am no expert, test it on YOUR blank before trying it on a bunch of guides, I have no way of knowing if it'll eat a hole in your creation...it didn't on mine.

I plan on removing all that I can around the guide foot (it is very, very little) to minimize any interference with the thread finish.

I see where some use it in fly tying. http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...110600fotw.php
    Looks like a new idea for building. It will be interesting to see if others have used it, and if so how well it works.
    I usually use the latex bands or a thin strip of masking or painters tape. Some times I may use both.

A hot melt type guide adhesive is available. Lightly heat the foot and sweep it across the the top of the glue stick and put in place. Won't harm the thread, blank, or act ugly with the finsih.

I've always used it. Not only does it hold the guide but it "insulates" the graphite blank from the foot of the guide. I believe this to help prevent abrasions and thus weak spots on the rod. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

As mentioned ealier in a previous post, my preference has always been the hot melt glue stick. It does the job with ease, holds the guides nicely in place during wrapping, certainly cleans up off the rod blank with a little rubbing alcohol if you goof and most of all, allows movement when necessary to tweek the guides into final alignment prior to adding epoxy.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Is "Fleximent" the actual brand name of the product?
    Jim

Born to fish - forced to work.

Jim, it's an Umpqua Feather Merchant's product called "Dave's Flexament". It's pretty readily available wherever tying materials are sold.

Thanks for the tip brhoff - I didn't have enough immagination to make that connection while I struggled with elastic and masking tape!

Cliff

I usually use a tiny dab of super glue. Long as you don't use more than just a bad then you can still adjust the guide after it's wrapped. Any of the above methods work as well though, hot glue, Flexament and others are all easier than dental rubber bands. I started out years ago using tiny rubber bands and they work fine on the butt section but when you get half way up the tip they can drive you crazy.

Steve

Thanks, Cliff.
    Jim

Born to fish - forced to work.

I am happy to report, it worked like a charm and did not interfere with the flexcoat.

+ Reply to Thread