+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crease Fly - most recent attempt

Default Crease Fly - most recent attempt

Thanks to suggestions here and a couple other places as well as "just thinking about how these should look" this is my most recent attempt. I'm not 100% happy with it but this looks a lot better than my first attempts.

Suggestions welcome.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Jeff, it looks like a fine job. Trying something new always seems to take a little time but it looks you are getting the hang of it. Don't be too rough on yourself as others have told me. I like the coloration and I am quite sure the fish will too.
    Steve

Blog Entries

It'll catch fish for sure...nice job.

It will most definitely catch fish; nice job. Did you paint it silver? Reason I'm asking is I've found silver (also in pearl and gold) foam at the craft store, which would save you a step. For the crease flies I tie, I like a little synthetic fiber (Kinky Fiber, SF Blend, etc) in addition to flash, just to give it a little body. Do you have a body template you work from or do you "one off" them?

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    It will most definitely catch fish; nice job. Did you paint it silver? Reason I'm asking is I've found silver (also in pearl and gold) foam at the craft store, which would save you a step. For the crease flies I tie, I like a little synthetic fiber (Kinky Fiber, SF Blend, etc) in addition to flash, just to give it a little body. Do you have a body template you work from or do you "one off" them?

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott,
    Thanks.

Yes, the silver foam came from the craft store. I also picked up a couple sheets in gold. It was only 1.5mm thick so I glued it to a 2mm white foam backing. It may be a bit overkill and am going to try some with just the 1.5mm foam.

The stuff I got has silver or gold sparkles on the surface (probably glued on).

After tying the fly and gluing it up, i"ve been putting a couple coats of clear nail polish over it to hold everything in place. I found some nail polish with silver holographic sparkles and after the two top coats of clear, I put on a coat with the silver sparkles. Yes, my wife and son are having a field day with me hanging out in the finger nail polish aisle and the craft stores but it's all going to pay off when some rather large bass nails one of these.

I will make a template when I'm happy with the pattern. So far, I'm free handing them. I tried scissors but didn't like that and found a very sharp pocket knife or Xacto knife is easier for me to control and get the angles I wanted. I was thinking when I get one that is just the way I want it, I'll dismantle the fly and trace the outline on a stiff piece of card stock or poster board, and trace it out for a template. That way, I can cut out several at a time and make the final tying go faster.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

The sparkle craft foam works good. I use it on my Mini-Crease Flies. On the larger ones, I glue silver or gold foil to the foam sheet, then cut out my bodies. See my FOTW Oct 9, 2009. I have a full set of instructions posted for that week.

When the fly is complete, coat it with 5 minute epoxy, completely. This makes it virtually indestructible.

Good job on the flies.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    I will make a template when I'm happy with the pattern. So far, I'm free handing them. I tried scissors but didn't like that and found a very sharp pocket knife or Xacto knife is easier for me to control and get the angles I wanted. I was thinking when I get one that is just the way I want it, I'll dismantle the fly and trace the outline on a stiff piece of card stock or poster board, and trace it out for a template. That way, I can cut out several at a time and make the final tying go faster.

Jeff
    Once you find a shape you like and make that template, you can prepare a lot of bodies quickly and they'll be just how you want them. I was tempted to buy one of the cutters from River Road but found that I can cut them pretty quickly with template/scissors; saved me about $20. Gigmaster mentioned coating them with 5 minute epoxy; I used to use 30 minute and was pretty happy with the results. Then I went to TieFest 2010 in Kent Island, MD yesterday and was talking to Chris Newsome, a guide on the Chesapeake Bay, about crease flies and he showed me something called Bug Bond (one of the UV-cured products like Tuffleye and Clear Cure Goo) that he uses. He likes it because it's fairly thin, easy to apply and really protects the fly, and unlike epoxy, doesn't yellow after prolonged exposure to the sun. Think I'm going to take that $20 I saved from the crease fly cutter and plow it into some Bug Bond.

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks for the tip. Once I get these to the point I am ready to say "this is the fly" I'll look into the bug bond. Right now, I'm going for the silhouette and size proportions. I want it to look like an easy meal of a wounded minnow.

When I get a templte set out and tie a dozen or so of these at a time

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:

Default bug bond

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Once you find a shape you like and make that template, you can prepare a lot of bodies quickly and they'll be just how you want them. I was tempted to buy one of the cutters from River Road but found that I can cut them pretty quickly with template/scissors; saved me about $20. Gigmaster mentioned coating them with 5 minute epoxy; I used to use 30 minute and was pretty happy with the results. Then I went to TieFest 2010 in Kent Island, MD yesterday and was talking to Chris Newsome, a guide on the Chesapeake Bay, about crease flies and he showed me something called Bug Bond (one of the UV-cured products like Tuffleye and Clear Cure Goo) that he uses. He likes it because it's fairly thin, easy to apply and really protects the fly, and unlike epoxy, doesn't yellow after prolonged exposure to the sun. Think I'm going to take that $20 I saved from the crease fly cutter and plow it into some Bug Bond.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott were can i buy it. Always looking for something better/ thanks bob

Quote Originally Posted by sunbob View Post
    Scott were can i buy it. Always looking for something better/ thanks bob
    Bob,

It looks like you can only order it from the U.K. right now. Here's their website:

http://www.bug-bond.moonfruit.com/#/bug-bond/4537309415

Clear Cure Goo is another similar product you may want to look at; it comes in thin or thick and now a new flexible formula (might be good for Crease Flies); also distributed in the US which would make ordering/shipping a little easier:
    http://www.clearcuregoo.com/index.html

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-01-2010 at 05:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread