+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Fly Reel

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Default New Fly Reel

I just purchassed a used G loomis gl3 8wt fly rood for $100... now i need a reel for it. I need a reel that has a good drag that can handle big alaskan silvers, reds, and steelhead but i dont have that much money to buy one. But I dont want to spend more than $150. Just looking for some opinions on what might work.

[This message has been edited by PaGuy (edited 26 January 2006).]

Blog Entries

PaGuy,
    Check out the Teton and Tioga reels. They are in that price range and have good drag systems.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I asked this same question a few days ago. I was recommended to check the Tiogas, as well as an Orvis battenkill bbs, or mid arbor. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the battenkill mid arbor.

But I know that Orvis has a deal through the end of the month. Buy a battenkill bbs or LARGE arbor, and get a free spare spool. Figured I'd pass that on.

The aforementioned Teton Tioga is always a good bet. Redington CD is another. The new Cortland Endurance looks pretty solid.

I often see various Redington reels on eBay for well under $150. I've got a Redington RS2 and really like it.

Why not stick with G. Loomis and get an Venture 7 reel? It's what I use for local steelhead and bull trout on my 8wt. $100.00.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Caddisman (edited 26 January 2006).]

If it were me,for $150 I would go with either the Teton Tioga or a Ross Cimarron.Both reels are bullet proof and have excellent customer service.

The 8 weight GL 3 is a good choice for chunck n duck glass beads for rainbow trout in AK, IMO. The action loads pretty well for that type of work from a boat.

See if you can find a used Ross Canyon 3 or 4. It may be hard to get for $150 b/c there are still many who love those reels. (The 3 and under were discontinued, and now they market the Canyon Big Game 4 and up). Canyon 3 and Evolution 3.5 are what I use for that application.

As others suggested, it may be easier to fing an Orvis or Tioga for the money.

Oh, I almost fogot the Ross Gunnison 4. It's a standard reel, and was discontinued and replace with a large arbor. It has a good drag system and a big drag adjustment knob, which does matter when fighting bigger fish, IMO. I've used one for AK too and it works fine. You may indeed find one for $150 because the bigger Gunnisons don't appear to be as sough after as size 3 and smaller.

Bomb proof, .... Cortland LTD 120. I've had one for YEARS and even as a loaner, ... it won't die.

I go one for 'bout 100$cdn a while back, ... if you find one, ... grab it.

I don't even know if they still make 'em ... imho. Also, the 110 won't hold enough backing.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:4b1df]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:4b1df]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:4b1df]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:4b1df]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread