+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awesome fly reels cheap

I used the SLA quite a bit last year. Caught 2 of my 3 biggest fly-rod fish on it. Never had a problem with it at all.

The Allen & Co XL, to me, actually feels a bit more solid and sturdy. The XL looks very similar to the SLA, but isn't identical.

The vests/packs appear to have many of the same features as some of the Fishpond offerings.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The packs I wouldnt be worried about - I'm sure they are top notch. You are essentially paying that much for the fishpond name. I wish they had a waterdance knock-off, I'd buy it in a second. I am very interested in hearing some reviews of the fly line and hooks - because if they are as good as the prices, I will go crazy on that site -haha.

I've tied on several of the hooks offered on their website. I placed an order for more late last week. I think they are good hooks.

I also have a couple of their WF Floating lines...and they seemed good enough that I recently ordered a couple more. I got the first ones earlier this Winter, so haven't actually cast them yet, but they are spooled up on reels and ready to go. Seem/feel like excellent lines for the price. I've gotten cheap lines with "beginner fly rod/reel combos" in the past that were basically junk. Allen & Co's lines certainly aren't junk. Somebody on this website mentioned in a previous thread that they had cast them, and let their friends cast the lines too...and apparently the consensus opinion was that they were as good or better than the Cabela's Prestige (Plus?) lines.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Allen is a member here and responded very quickly to some suggestions on his site. Seems like a stand up outfit.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    I've tied on several of the hooks offered on their website. I placed an order for more late last week. I think they are good hooks.

I also have a couple of their WF Floating lines...and they seemed good enough that I recently ordered a couple more. I got the first ones earlier this Winter, so haven't actually cast them yet, but they are spooled up on reels and ready to go. Seem/feel like excellent lines for the price. I've gotten cheap lines with "beginner fly rod/reel combos" in the past that were basically junk. Allen & Co's lines certainly aren't junk. Somebody on this website mentioned in a previous thread that they had cast them, and let their friends cast the lines too...and apparently the consensus opinion was that they were as good or better than the Cabela's Prestige (Plus?) lines.
    Thats great - I have never been one to pay 70 dollars for fly line - I just wont do it because I think its ridiuclous. I can spool up all my reels for the cost of one from a "name brand" - I mean, come on, there isn't THAT much difference. I just wanted to hear that they are good lines and there are no major flaws - I will definitely be placing an order. Also getting some hooks based on your rec.
    Last edited by ErnieBall; 02-24-2010 at 05:24 PM.

I have an XL in 7/8 and it is awesome. I've fished it only two days in the salt water and after a rinse it looks to handle the harsh environment perfectly. I also have some Cabelas SLA and the appearance is similar, and I like the look, but this is a much more solid design IMHO. I like this one and will consider adding more of the Allen gear to my collection as time goes on. I have looked at packs on their site and they look like some solid bang for the buck to me.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    -Henry David Thoreau

That reel bag looks great as well.

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to say thank you on the post's. I do read them and if there is any suggestions. I try to fix or improve something. If anyone has any concerns, questions, and/or suggestions. Please send me a PM. Always like to help someone out and get to know people.

Thank you

Justin "Allen"

I just read all the posts and I need to make a correction. This reel is not made in the States. I am working on the same design to be made here. I will be offering this option in April. It's under prototypes now. I worked (ran) a plastic injection molding company in South Bend, IN for the last 8 years and got to know some great companies around the world.

We out sourced 80% of our tooling to machine shops in Canada and China. We had no choice to do this. It was made by our customers to do this. By outsourcing some of our tooling. I got to know some very good CNC production factories that make very good products.

This reel is made for me by a supplier of ours in China and I trust the quality and performance of the reel. A company in Mishawaka, IN will be making the USA built reel.

Justin "Allen"
    Last edited by allenflyfising; 02-26-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Justin,

I sent you a pm about the rucksacks.

+ Reply to Thread