+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lees Ferry

Default Lees Ferry

I took my first guided trip this past Saturday (Feb 20). We had some pretty hard rain and strong winds but around 2:30PM the weather cleared, it warmed up a little and the midges started coming off. If you ever get the chance Lees Ferry is a beautiful place to fish.

Glen Canyon Dam

When the weather improved, so did the fishing

This fish was on the last cast of the day, just as our guide was saying it was time to head back. 16", my nicest trout so far in 1 1/2 years of fly fishing
    Last edited by brandonl; 03-02-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: operator error on pictures

It looks like you are having photo issues.

Talk about memories man!

I used to fish Lee's Ferry as a kid on my dad's friend bass boat. We were spin fishing but always had a good time there!

I remember back in the day there was some issues with flow levels. They were dropping the levels so low it was affecting the spawning efforts of the fish. I don't know what the outcome ever was but it sounds like the fish are still plentiful which is a good thing...
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

Still can't get the photos. I loved fishing Lee's Ferry when I lived in the St. George, UT area. It was a drive, but a special and very scenic place. One of the things this place is famous for is its scud 'hatch'. Yes, I said scuds. As the daily water levels went up, the scuds would move into the new shallows. When the levels dropped, many scuds were trapped in the shallows and died, turning a nice scud orange color. as water levels came up again the dead and now mostly dried out scuds would float, thus a daily scud 'hatch' which drove the resident trout into a feeding frenzy, for which Jim and Wendy Gunn developed a floating scud dry fly that knocked them dead! Believe it or not, it's true...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Gliss,

Send the pics to me in an email and I will put them on my server for you.

vmabuck@azbuck.com
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

Sorry about the photo issues and delay. They should be fixed now.

Kelly, the fly you're referring to is called the Unbelievable. I saw them in the shop at Lees Ferry Anglers...interesting looking fly. We didn't fish with scuds, 16 and 18 zebra midges were the pattern of the day for us.

+ Reply to Thread