+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tie-Fast Gryp-Knot

Default Tippet Cost

Steven .........
    Let see: A spool of Orvis Mirage Fluorocarbon tippet material goes for $9.95 for a 40 meter spool of material from 7X-0X.
    That?s about 120 feet or 1440 inches.
    Say you make your tippets 24" long, you will be able to make 60 tippets.
    That comes to $0.166 pet tippet change.
    But remember that you will be able to tie on at least 2 or 3 fly changes on each tippet. So, you can cut that figure in half at least.
    I think we can afford that.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Blog Entries

What the heck.. this maybe sacrilegious, but I do not buy tippet material in those Orivs or any other flyfishing sellers spools. I get it in 110yd spools from Berkley ie vanish Fluorocarbon, 4lb, 6lb, 8lb - for get ready for this, $5CDN.. I just can't justify paying the extra cost, I have my reasons but just can't do it!!!

Love my Tie-Fast Gryp-knot tool, I use it for putting loops in my Fly line if they do not come with..

Quote Originally Posted by DickM View Post
    Steven .........
    Let see: A spool of Orvis Mirage Fluorocarbon tippet material goes for $9.95 for a 40 meter spool of material from 7X-0X.
    But remember that you will be able to tie on at least 2 or 3 fly changes on each tippet. So, you can cut that figure in half at least.
    DickM.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

I've never used it to tie on a fly but I do use the line to line connection with the tie fast tool and it works great. The clinch knot at the hook will always break before the tippet to leader connection knot does.

I may have to give it a try to tie flies to the leaders and see how it works. I'm just lazy and can tie a clinch knot in my sleep.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

The best way to test this knot or any other is to take a piece of tippet and tie it to a hook then tie another hook on the other end using a different knot. Clamp one of the hooks in a machinist vise and grab the other hook w/ a pliers and slowly apply pressure until one of the knots fail. Try several reps and you will soon know which of the knots is stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by DickM View Post
    Steven .........
    DickM.
    You're kidding me right? It's not about money, it's about waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mason View Post
    The best way to test this knot or any other is to take a piece of tippet and tie it to a hook then tie another hook on the other end using a different knot. Clamp one of the hooks in a machinist vise and grab the other hook w/ a pliers and slowly apply pressure until one of the knots fail. Try several reps and you will soon know which of the knots is stronger.
    I've done this with several knots and quite honestly it is kind of fun. One thing I found is a regular clinch knot isn't as weak as some claim, and some of the knots that are highly touted are not as strong as claimed (at least when I try to tie then). Which brings to a well tied knot is important.

I also have added a "shock" test by running the test but with a little slack in the line and then snapping the line taught. IT's interesting to see what happens. Sometimes the knot that was better in a steady pull test fails in a shock test.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I agree you should always give all your knots a good tug to test them.

I probably tie over a thousand knots a month. Every once in a while, a knot just plain fails (maybe one or two out of a hundred). I think it has to do with perhaps the fact that wraps occasionally end up crossing, and the crossing wrap cuts into the underlying wrap. Not sure, I just know something happens even though I'm tying the same knots and have had plenty of practice.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread