+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pellet fly?

Question pellet fly?

Anybody know a good way to tie a pellet fly without spinning deer hair? I can't tie flies very well and I'm having a terrible time spinning deer hair.

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Get some cork and glue them on the hook.

Tan foam cylinders.

Regards,
    Scott

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Anybody know a good way to tie a pellet fly without spinning deer hair? I can't tie flies very well and I'm having a terrible time spinning deer hair.

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    Use panty hose. Tie it like you would a glow ball. Cut 2 pieces approx. 1" wide by the width of the hose. Fold one piece over its self lenghtwise making it approx 1/4" wide. Tie it on the top, fold the other piece the same, tie it on the bottom of jig head or hook. Grab the top piece you tied in and pull it up high causing it to stretch and cut at approximately 1/4" from hook. Rotate your vice and do the same for the bottom piece. Take the fly out of your vice and roll between your hands. Makes a very nice pellet fly.

Panty hose is the key!!

That very question was posed a couple of days ago by a friend. We looked at pictures of pellets via Google & decided to tie some simple "pellet Flies" using nothing more than some ostrich. Hope they work.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found brown pom-poms at the craft store. never used them though
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

While I have never tied any pellet flies, I think that Gorilla glue would be the absolutely easiest way to "tie" a pellet fly. Start by mixing a drop of fast drying Gorilla glue with a drop of water and goop it onto the hook shank. Rotate it as it dries to give a nice cylndrical shape. Remember, this stuff really expands so you won't need very much. Once it has set to where it has formed a skin but it is still soft, you can roll it between your fingers to get whatever shape you want. You can even cut the ends square if you really want a pellet shape, but I'm sure the fish won't care. Then, simply color it with the appropriate color marker and you're all set. It will float nicely and is almost indestructable. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

I experimented with pellet flies over several seasons. What I found is that the fish look for the fly to sink at "just the right rate". In other words those I tied from pom-poms, foam, cork didn't work well at all. The fish would respond to the plop and come up and then follow the fly backwards waiting for it to sink. When it didn't - refusal.

This wasn't a one-time observation, because I followed this up with some tests by throwing fish pellets and watching how the fish reacted. Once the pellets sank about 2 inches they would gobble them with abandon.

Now the trick was to find a fly that mimicked this behavior - not the appearance. I settled on a fly with a small bead head (black) covered in brown dubbing. I then sat with a sink full of water and wound dubbing until I matched the sink rate of the actual pellet.

It works - not all the time, but often enough to break up an afternoon by catching stockers.

OH and it's great fun to give to a kid trying to catch stocked trout - tell them to plop it on the water, let it drift downstream and hang on - usually works!
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Try half of a coffee bean.

White McFly foam and a brown marker works good at the Missouri trout parks.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

+ Reply to Thread