+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finish Application Question

Tilt the spatula ... that provides a handy edge. Use something to steady your hand in the process, that's the KEY to getting a clean edge - whether using a brush, spatula, knitting needle or other implement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    I just use the edge of the spatula.

Greg
    I am assuming something like an oil painting spatula?

I get a nice edge with a brush, but it could be straighter with a knitting needle or some other hard implement.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

I use the spatulas you can get at a rod building supply (they may be art spatulas?). They are stainless steel and thin and work well for mixing and applying the finish although I use the disposable brushes to apply. Just wet the spatula and use the edge of it up against the thread to get a line of finish on the blank. It will suck some of the finish over from the wraps.

Last edited by Greg F; 02-18-2010 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I thought of a great idea; maybe I should practice on a junk piece of blank!!! After thoughtfully reading these posts I will practice on Sunday. I'm going to practice with a spatula, knitting needle and brush to see which one I can handle the best. I probably should have done that from the beginning. Thanks everyone for the help.
    Bruce

Are you applying the finish while the rod is turning in the rod dryer? that is the best method for getting a crisp edge. I use a dryer that is around 11-12RPm and apply the finish with a brush while its turning. Long as you steady your brush hand with your free hand then you can get a really nice edge without having to resost to tape or any other added methods.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Custom Fly Rods View Post
    Are you applying the finish while the rod is turning in the rod dryer? that is the best method for getting a crisp edge. I use a dryer that is around 11-12RPm and apply the finish with a brush while its turning. Long as you steady your brush hand with your free hand then you can get a really nice edge without having to resost to tape or any other added methods.

Steve
    Hi! I didn't know I could apply finish while the rod was spinning slowly in the rod dryer. Gees, I thought the rod had to be rotating at a high speed to apply the finish. If the brush inadvertently touches the thread wraps as I apply finish to the rotating wraps will it make air bubbles? Thanks again for your responses.
    Bruce

Nope doesn't have to be turning at a high speed at all to apply finish. Anywhere from 8-12rpm is my favorite range for turning while applying finish. Other RPM's will work as well but 8-12 seems to be the best I have found because it's a good compromise between speed for the crisp edge yet not so fast that its hard to deal with. I do all my finish work with a brush so there is no inadvertently touching the brush to the wraps for me Some builders will say not to "brush the finish on" with a brush...which is simply not true at all. If you apply the finish to a wrap with a brush while the rod is turning in a rod dryer then you can brush it on with zero issues. Very rarely will I ever get a bubble but if at any time you do then simply exhale onto it and the warmth from your breath will immediately cause the bubble to pop leaving a bubble free finish.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Custom Fly Rods View Post
    Nope doesn't have to be turning at a high speed at all to apply finish. Anywhere from 8-12rpm is my favorite range for turning while applying finish. Other RPM's will work as well but 8-12 seems to be the best I have found because it's a good compromise between speed for the crisp edge yet not so fast that its hard to deal with. I do all my finish work with a brush so there is no inadvertently touching the brush to the wraps for me Some builders will say not to "brush the finish on" with a brush...which is simply not true at all. If you apply the finish to a wrap with a brush while the rod is turning in a rod dryer then you can brush it on with zero issues. Very rarely will I ever get a bubble but if at any time you do then simply exhale onto it and the warmth from your breath will immediately cause the bubble to pop leaving a bubble free finish.

Steve
    Thanks, Steve. That answers a lot of questions.
    Bruce

+ Reply to Thread