+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why pack a gun while fishing?

Cold Guest

I'm curious, as a judge of now necessary a firearm is while fishing, how many of those on this board who carry while fishing have actually used their weapon in self-defense while on the stream?

I personally don't care one way or the other about carrying streamside. If you and your weapon are legally carried/carrying, that's fine, however among the people I know who carry their weapons regularly, even those who can say the right reasons, the only ones that really seemed to be able to justify it were ex-military guys. Most of the others, even though there ARE positives to having a weapon, despite what they said, were really only bringing a gun along for the sake of bringing a gun along.

Again, I'm not passing judgement on anyone here, so long as you're within your legal rights for what you are doing. Its hard enough to get a good feel of a person talking to them in person, let alone over the internet, where personality doesn't articulate well through a keyboard.

So long as the carrier is legal, familiar with his or her own equipment, puts an emphasis on safety and responsibility, and practices regularly, I see no problem whatsoever. The debate about an ounce of prevention will go on forever, and there's plenty of arguments both ways. Just interested to see how many have actually fired their weapon in self-defense on a stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ray View Post
    I own an arsenal of guns, I do not carry when fishing. Here in CT we don't seem to have many of the problems other parts of the country have. Snakes here are not a problem and animals that attack are also not a problem. As for someone breaking into my car, using a gun is not permitted under CT law. I would be the one who gets arrested. We can only use a gun in defense of our life here, if you have the ability to escape you must use that as your first option as guys who break into cars are usually unarmed. I have never seen a crackhead or a methhead however I probably wouldn't recognized one if I saw one, let alone want to shoot him.
    "As for someone breaking into my car, using a gun is not permitted under CT law." Unless you are IN that car! If there is so much as a fingerprint on the door where it can be proven that "said person" was making an attempt to forcefully remove you...He's "dead meat"

As far as recognizing a crack head...trust me..you would know!!

There are 4 or 5 incidents where you may shoot another individual IN ANY OF THE 50 STATES, where they wont prosecute you for doing it.
    1) To stop a rape
    2) To stop an armed robbery
    3) Defense of your own life if you TRULY believe that its in danger
    4) To stop an arson

?? I dont remember the other one??

Marco, Larry good replies. I carried a weapon for the past 35 years. I'm retired now, and don't carry to serve and protect. I carry legally. I carry now to try and keep myself and my friends and family, from being Innocent victims of violence. In all the years I carried I only fired once in self defense. Hopefully I'll never have to use my weapon.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Ya know its not always about the protection of the person carrying the firearm. Recently there was a thread here on the BB about people that CAMP when they go fishing... Lets assume for sake of discussion that you might be one of them... "I" return from fishing...and you have gotten back to camp prior to my getting back.....and I see 2 ( or more) guys busting you in the head with a big stick of firewood. I'll pull up a chair and yell over to those guys and tell them just how mad your going to be IF you ever wake up....

In another scenario...I decide to stay in camp and tie some flys and you head out to fish....I hear some racket and look in the direction of your camp and see one or more men "mistreating" ( thats the only word the BB might let me use...but I think you get the idea??...your WIFE. While some other dude has your 8 yr old daughter by her pony tails. I'll make sure to keep my nose out of it and just take color pics of it all!

Quote Originally Posted by rons81 View Post
    ................ I carry legally. I carry now to try and keep myself and my friends and family, from being Innocent victims of violence.
    Times two!
    Last edited by Sully; 02-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Actually the question is getting old and tiresome. I own legal handguns. I am legally allowed to carry same into certain circumstances PERIOD. I don't need to explain further and I'm sorry if you don't understand.

Mark

Don't like the question don't answer it! As you can see there are intellegent meaningful replies. You are the type that gives gun owners a bad name with your attitude.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Don't like the question don't answer it! As you can see there are intellegent meaningful replies. You are the type that gives gun owners a bad name with your attitude.
    though succinct, i found marco's reply quite reasonable. the question you ask is a divisive one. you shouldn't be surprised (or offended) by a few sharp replies. you note in your original post that you own several handguns, but do you have a concealed carry permit? if so, when DO you carry your weapons on you? you also questioned why someone would frequent somewhere known for violent encounters. certainly you're not too naive to realize that could be anywhere. just read the daily headlines. would you carry your weapon into a meeting of professors where tenure was going to be discussed? wonder how that one would have turned out if someone else there would have legally had a weapon with them at the time.
    Last edited by dpenrod; 02-15-2010 at 04:16 PM.

I started this past summer carrying (openly, as I can't imagine trying to conceal a gun this big) my .38 long barrel after reports of people seeing cougars about 15 miles from where I hike/fish in the Rio Grande Nat. Forest. It's rare for me to meet another another person where I trek, but that makes it all the more reasonable for me to carry my own protection.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by dpenrod View Post
    though succinct, i found marco's reply quite reasonable. the question you ask is a divisive one. you shouldn't be surprised by a few sharp replies. you note in your original post that you own several handguns, but do you have a concealed carry permit? if so, when DO you carry your weapons on you? you also questioned why someone would frequent somewhere known for violent encounters. certainly you're not too naive to realize that could be anywhere. just read the daily headlines. would you carry your weapon into a meeting of professors where tenure was going to be discussed? wonder how that one would have turned out if someone else there would have legally had a weapon with them at the time.
    How is Marco's reply reasonable? If he does not want to contribuite why did he reply at all? Many here gave very thoughtful replies. Why degrade the conversation by imparting a sophmoric reply?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hey TF,
    It's funny that I see this quite differently. The constant questioning and getting the SAME answers to the SAME questions IS tiresome. I agree, there ARE intelligent replies above but NONE of them are earthshaking new thoughts that have NEVER been stated before. Actually I am not aware of gun owners having a "bad name" . How could anyone exercising and voicing their support for a Constitutional right get a "bad name" ? Perhaps only in the eyes of those who would strive to limit or remove that right and their opinion I accept with no comment.

Mark
    PS: I guess this means we wont meet at Moss Landing this Spring

+ Reply to Thread