+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What is in your vest that isn't FF?

Some good ideas of things I don't carry.
    I usally go minimalist and don't want to add much but I will probably add a whistle. I think it's a great idea.
    I think lip balm is the only think I carry no one has already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout View Post
    I wonder if there are any stats out there that compare how many bear attacks vs accidental shooting from fisheremen carrying guns. I would be willing to be there are more accidental shootings. I am not some antigun nut, in fact I own several guns. I would just like to stress if you are going to carry one out there please be very careful.

I'm not anti-gun either. I trained hunting dogs, as my full time job, for almost 40 years and almost always had a gun or three in the truck. Got several in the closet over there, now.

BUT, I've fished "Greater Yellowstone" area hundreds of days as well as fishing places here in my area that actually have Mountain Lion warning signs to let you know to pay some attention. I DO carry bear spray when going, alone, far from roads .. sometimes and places.

The "closest" calls I've had in many many years of outside activity all involved
    1)weather and hypothermia
    2) slipping and falling and/or trying to drown

I've had a few animal 'encounters' over the years
    and
    Sure, I could get eaten next trip, but I find people carrying both flasks and 44s far scarier than lions, tigers, and bears ....oh my

Well, I'm surprised at all the responses, especially how many anglers out there are packing heat. But I am really glad that I started this post, just because a few aren't carrying some sort of first aid kit. Now, I'll just hope and pray that none of us EVER use that first aid kit.

hNt

PS, I think I'll add a whistle to mine.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Well, I'm surprised at all the responses, especially how many anglers out there are packing heat. But I am really glad that I started this post, just because a few aren't carrying some sort of first aid kit. Now, I'll just hope and pray that none of us EVER use that first aid kit.

hNt

PS, I think I'll add a whistle to mine.
    i am going to add a first aid kit to mine before the season opener

Blog Entries

The only thing I have ever NEEDED out of a first aid kit was large bandages and vetwrap. Shirts work in a pinch. The rest of most first aid kits is just for psychological benefit. Unless your arm is off, you can probably survive going back to the trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout View Post
    Why are you guys all packing heat out there? Are you worried about bears or people? I have been out in the woods all my life and the only time I carry a gun is if I am hunting. Outside of Alaska how often do you hear of someone getting mauled by a bear. Even in Alaska I dont think it happens that often. I think I am more concerned about all the fishermen who might be packing heat....lol I wonder if there are any stats out there that compare how many bear attacks vs accidental shooting from fisheremen carrying guns. I would be willing to be there are more accidental shootings. I am not some antigun nut, in fact I own several guns. I would just like to stress if you are going to carry one out there please be very careful.
    There are several articles that you might find interesting, which indicate that you are better off with bear spray than a firearm. Here are the links.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...inst-grizzlies

http://news.byu.edu/archive08-mar-bearspray.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0325171221.htm

There are others if you just take the time to look for them.

The bottom line is that the average person is better off with bear spray than with a firearm. Bear spray has been found by both U.S. Wildlife folks and their counterparts in Canada to be more effective and safer than trying to use a weapon against a bear. The studies tend to be dull by comparison to anecdotes told by interesting people, but they do offer something worthwhile.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 02-13-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    There are several articles that you might find interesting, which indicate that you are better off with bear spray than a firearm. Here are the links.

http://news.byu.edu/archive08-mar-bearspray.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0325171221.htm

There are others if you just take the time to look for them.

The bottom line is that the average person is better off with bear spray than with a firearm. Bear spray has been found by both U.S. Wildlife folks and their counterparts in Canada to be more effective and safer than trying to use a weapon against a bear. The studies tend to be dull by comparison to anecdotes told by interesting people, but they do offer something worthwhile.

John

Some interesting info.

I will always carry though as bears are not the primary reason that I do it. I actually have yet to see a bear on any of my back country adventures out here. Yes I have seen bear scat just not the real deal. My only bear encounter was when I was fishing in OR but we both went our seperate ways.

Cold Guest

While SWPA has bears, its not really 'bear country'. I've never felt a need to bring any sort of weaponry with me on my fishing trips (unless you count the knife, but that's not anti-bear weaponry). Never actually seen a bear in my travels, but late March last year I heard quite a rackeet coming from upstream. All went quiet and a while later I ventured up that way and saw some very fresh bear tracks in the mud. After some looking around, I also saw the dead tree he or she'd knocked over to cause the racket, probably searching for ants & termites, I guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    The only thing I have ever NEEDED out of a first aid kit was large bandages and vetwrap. Shirts work in a pinch. The rest of most first aid kits is just for psychological benefit. Unless your arm is off, you can probably survive going back to the trailhead.
    Usually no trailhead where I play, a broken anything or a good cut, will mess you up for a while,we can get snow in any month of the year, a bear/cat/wolf/badger swipe or bite, will really put a damper on your day. More then one in your party, you may need more supplies then your t-shirt..

Anyway each to his own, I carry a winter and summer survival kit and Bear spray, and SPOT .. piece of mind for the wife and kids and me also..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post

The bottom line is that the average person is better off with bear spray than with a firearm. Bear spray has been found by both U.S. Wildlife folks and their counterparts in Canada to be more effective and safer than trying to use a weapon against a bear.

John
    Thats NOT what that study stated unless you only read the uppermost portion. And as one responder stated...he would rather take a chance protecting himself with a firearm than by using "spray" that can even be blown away by a moderate wind.

While I personally believe that "protecting" onseself from a bear using a handgun is futile..almost laughable....when "he" is chewing on my leg...Im pumping 6 or 7 rounds in him at that close of distance

+ Reply to Thread