+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Owyhee in October

Yep, fish the Trinity alot. Will be there tomorrow morning.

I see that you are from Redding. I fish the lower Sacramento alot with the Drift boat. One of my favorite things to do. The Fly Shop keeps me broke.

Last year when I was plotting out my trip to Montana I was talking to a guy about my plan. I told him I intended to stop on the Owahee on the way. His comment was why would you want to go anywhere else?

The Owahee takes about 10 or 11 hours from Redding -- took us about 12 hours to Eureka -- to get to and that is driving like hell to get there.You can drive 75 to 80 miles an hour through some of that stuff and never see another car. There isn't much worry about the Law once your 10 or 20 miles past Lakeview until you are about 20 or 30 miles from Burns. Same for Burns to Vale. One word of caution is that if you are driving at night between Lakeview and Burns, apparently there are some wild Burro's that will sometimes wander down to the road. They can be hard to see apprently because their eyes don't reflect like other animals do at night when your lights hit them ( I was told this by a Calif. CHP officer) Heading towards Ontario but I think it is Vale, Ore. that you can turn off and head south and drive across some desert and then farm land and drop into the canyon. Once you see the canyon you'll get the urge to fish really quick. In some places you can walk or drive along the river and the road is elevated enough that you can actually look down and see the fish. When I was there, there were some great hatches coming off in the afternoon and you could see the browns crusing.

The river itself is about the size of the upper Sac. or Trinity river. Not real big and not heavy flow. Very comfortable fishing river. Cold water and easy to wade -- take a staff.

When I was there in early October, they were still harvesting onions and if you followed the trucks or looked on the sharper corners, the onions would fall off the trucks -- stop and pick up some pretty good onions.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 02-12-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added to content

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    Yep, fish the Trinity alot. Will be there tomorrow morning.

I see that you are from Redding. I fish the lower Sacramento alot with the Drift boat. One of my favorite things to do. The Fly Shop keeps me broke.

Last year when I was plotting out my trip to Montana I was talking to a guy about my plan. I told him I intended to stop on the Owahee on the way. His comment was why would you want to go anywhere else?

The Owahee takes about 10 or 11 hours from Redding -- took us about 12 hours to Eureka -- to get to and that is driving like hell to get there.You can drive 75 to 80 miles an hour through some of that stuff and never see another car. There isn't much worry about the Law once your 10 or 20 miles past Lakeview until you are about 20 or 30 miles from Burns. Same for Burns to Vale. One word of caution is that if you are driving at night between Lakeview and Burns, apparently there are some wild Burro's that will sometimes wander down to the road. They can be hard to see apprently because their eyes don't reflect like other animals do at night when your lights hit them ( I was told this by a Calif. CHP officer) Heading towards Ontario but I think it is Vale, Ore. that you can turn off and head south and drive across some desert and then farm land and drop into the canyon. Once you see the canyon you'll get the urge to fish really quick. In some places you can walk or drive along the river and the road is elevated enough that you can actually look down and see the fish. When I was there, there were some great hatches coming off in the afternoon and you could see the browns crusing.

The river itself is about the size of the upper Sac. or Trinity river. Not real big and not heavy flow. Very comfortable fishing river. Cold water and easy to wade -- take a staff.

When I was there in early October, they were still harvesting onions and if you followed the trucks or looked on the sharper corners, the onions would fall off the trucks -- stop and pick up some pretty good onions.
    yep Trinity, Lower Sac sounds like we have fished a lot of the same water. In fact I used to guide the Lower Sac. I mostly fish the Upper Sac and McCloud now along with a few local creeks.
    I have been trying to get up on the Owyhee for about 5 years but something always seems to come up. My buddy from Sweden is coming out and he said to pick somewhere I have always wanted to go but never been, so the Owyhee it is.

Thanks for all the info. I am not really worried about the fish I am more just trying to figure out the longistics of getting the trip together.

If I was taking a "tourist" to Owyhee I would try to fit a trip to Leslie Gulch into my plans. I have visited it several times and find it facinating.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    If I was taking a "tourist" to Owyhee I would try to fit a trip to Leslie Gulch into my plans. I have visited it several times and find it facinating.

Tim
    thanks Tim... I will look that up too

once you've been to Leslie Gulch you will surely want to return some day.

That river is only about an hour from my house. I typically fish it in the winter when other spots are closed, or if I just want to get out for a quick trip. I usually end up spending only around 15-20 days a year out there......PM sent..........

Leslie Gulch is definitely worth a trip--all kinds of weird and strange rock formations-kind if like a science fictiony type thing. Would expect to see Hobbits or other similar animals.

+ Reply to Thread