+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sinking Tips Leader Formulas

1. Default Sinking Tips Leader Formulas

There have been times I've been flishing freestone streams and encounter deep pools and wish I had a way to fish deeper. I've tried adding weight but it doesn't seem to get down quick enough or deep enough before the current sweeps it away. So I bought a sink tip kit with 12 feet of 9 in per sec line. I was thinking about making 2, 4 and 6 foot sections with loops on each end. Any suggestions on leader formulas using these sections on 5wt line? Should the sink tip section attach directly to the fly line or should I use a section of heavy monofilament?

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Depending upon what the leader size (X) you plan to use, you can use either method. I normally nail or needle knot to the line and use 6 inches or less between the line and the distal end of a Perfection loop. I do this simply because I can tie a Perfection knot a whole lot faster than either a blood knot or a surgeon's knot, and the loop-to-loop connection is also very fast to execute if I have to change leaders or have a break off. I seldom, if ever, use more than 5 feet of leader/tippet with either a sink-tip or full-sink line. I use the latter much more frequently than a sink tip, and most often with only 3 or 4 feet of leader: NO TIPPET! Bear in mind that I am fishing across the bottom for white bass during their spring spawning run, or for white/striper hybrids later in the year. I also use exactly the same rig for white/striper hybrids ( known as wipers here in parts of Texas).
    Last edited by aged_sage; 02-07-2010 at 10:01 PM.

3. Default Leaders

I have always purchased 9 foot leaders and add tippet as the end is used up. So, if I use a 2, 4 or 6 foot section of sinking tip, want a total of 9 feet of sinking tip plus leader, what do I use for a 4x and 5x leaders since they don't come in short lengths?

+ Reply to Thread